Explore Mount Kilimanjaro
This book is available for download with iBooks on your Mac or iOS device, and with iTunes on your computer. Books can be read with iBooks on your Mac or iOS device.
Based on a full-colour rucksack-friendly printed guidebook, this fixed-format ebook respects the original page layouts, while also enabling instant cross-references, searchable text and web links. Pinch-and-zoom allows the user to expand maps and graphics.
At 5895 metres (nearly four miles) above sea level, the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro is the highest point on earth to which you can walk. This is a mountain of contrasts and extremes. You start from tropical rain forest and finish in arctic conditions, passing through a landscape formed by ice and fire. Yet any well-prepared walker with enough determination may be able to climb Mount Kilimanjaro, to reach 'the roof of Africa'.
To climb Mount Kilimanjaro, the greatest challenge you face is the huge altitude gain. The author's advice on preventing altitude sickness is based on medical research, and on her own experience of successful
ascents by four different routes. This ebook is based on the 4th edition of the printed guidebook which was fully updated to cover all four main trekking routes. It includes:
- maps showing Marangu, Machame, Lemosho and Rongai routes
- advice on planning, preparation, and choosing your route
- practical information on climbing Mount Meru (ideal to pre-acclimatise)
- advice on choosing equipment, and packing for easy retrieval
- medical advice on how to prevent and manage altitude symptoms
- background on the geology, history, habitats and wildlife
- full colour throughout, with over 70 photographs.