Piano - The Instrument
Evolution Design and Performance
This book is available for download with iBooks on your Mac or iOS device. Multi-touch books can be read with iBooks on your Mac or iOS device. Books with interactive features may work best on an iOS device. iBooks on your Mac requires OS X 10.9 or later.
• A fully updated and enhanced “Made for iBooks” edition of the highly acclaimed 1995 hardback release
• A history, exploration, and explanation of the most amazing musical instrument ever produced
• Over 200 stunning photographs of pianos, past and present
• Various audio clips, present and historic
• Video clips of instruments in action
• Animated diagrams showing how the various elements of the piano work
• An archive of all the main piano manufacturing companies throughout history
• Detailed and authoritative text throughout
• An extensive illustrated glossary.
PIANO is the most spectacular and informative publication ever assembled on the history and workings of the piano. At its heart is a stunning collection of more than 150 pianos ranging from the instrument's earliest roots to today's magnificent upright and grand pianos. The sheer diversity and beauty of this magnificent family of instruments reveals an incredible marriage of technology and invention that has transformed the world of music.
Specially commissioned photographs illustrate the outer beauty and inner complexity of the modern piano, while other technologies examined include: reproducing and mechanical pianos; electric and electronic pianos; and more recent developments such as the digital and virtual piano.
This work was originally produced as a hardback book, and received 5-star reviews when released. It has now been completely revised and transformed into a multi-touch electronic book. With the introduction of animation, audio and video, it now gives the reader a fascinating, compelling, and immersive experience.
Reviews of the original hardback edition:
“... a great contribution to piano lore. I am telling everyone to rush out and buy it.”
Henry Z. Steinway
Just as the finest piano is appreciated by opening the fallboard, so too can you fill countless hours with enjoyment by opening the cover of this splendid book.
Robert Cloutier, Piano and Keyboard
'Piano' is so complete in its coverage that it comprehensively supercedes all other titles covering the same ground.
William Lawes, Pianoforte
What's New in Version 1.1
Minor text amendments in order to comply with Apple’s publishing guidelines