Advanced Criminal Law
This course material is only available in the iTunes U app on iPhone or iPad.
- Explain the distinction between indictable and simple offences.
- Articulate the different categories of offences.
- Detail the elements that must be proved by the Crown for major offences.
- Explain and discuss the case law which underpins the Queensland Criminal Code 1899.
- Demonstrate an understanding that the Criminal Code offences are predicated on the common law which requires proof of both 'actus rea' and 'mens rea' in the commission of an offence.
- Differentiate the various defences which may be available to a defendant given an encountered fact scenario.
- Apply a methodology to solve hypothetical problems involving substantive offences.
- Read and understand relevant legal materials consistent with the content covered in the course.
- Recognise and analyse legal issues arising out of fact scenarios.
- Utilise the online system Austlii to extract relevant legal materials.
- Access criminal law and related journals online via the database AGIS with a view to undertaking research into the Queensland Criminal Code.
- Engage with and respond appropriately to the comments and opinions expressed by others in the process of discussing contemporary issues pervading the criminal law legal discourse.
- Explain and discuss the differences between the system of Commonwealth and State criminal offences.
|1||LAWS11058_01_2015_General Principles of Criminal Law||--||--||Free||View in iTunes|
|2||LAWS11058_02_2015_Inchoate Liability||--||--||Free||View in iTunes|
|3||LAWS11058_03_2015_Secondary Liability||--||--||Free||View in iTunes|
|4||LAWS11058_04_2015_Homicide||--||--||Free||View in iTunes|
|5||LAWS11058_05_2015_Assault||--||--||Free||View in iTunes|
|6||LAWS11058_06_2015_Offences against Property – Stealing and Robbery||--||--||Free||View in iTunes|
|7||LAWS11058_07_2015_Offences against Property – Burglary, Receiving, Fraud, Arson, Wilful Damage||--||--||Free||View in iTunes|
|8||LAWS11058_08_2015_Defences - Mistake||--||--||Free||View in iTunes|
|9||LAWS11058_09_2015_Defences – Self-defence Duress and Compulsion Necessity and Provocation||--||--||Free||View in iTunes|
|10||LAWS11058_10_2015_Mental Impairment||--||--||Free||View in iTunes|
|11||LAWS11058_11_2015_Intoxication||--||--||Free||View in iTunes|
||LAWS11060_01_2015_Introduction and General Principles of Criminal Law||--||17:13||Free||View in iTunes|
||LAWS11058_02_2015_Inchoate Liability||--||8:02||Free||View in iTunes|
||LAWS11058_03_2015_Secondary Liability||--||9:34||Free||View in iTunes|
||LAWS11058_04_2015_Homicide||--||11:11||Free||View in iTunes|
||LAWS11058_05_2015_Assault||--||9:06||Free||View in iTunes|
||LAWS11058_06_2015_Offences against Property – Stealing and Robbery||--||10:20||Free||View in iTunes|
||LAWS11058_07_2015_Offences against Property – Burglary, Receiving, Fraud, Arson, Wilful Damage||--||9:02||Free||View in iTunes|
||LAWS11058_08_2015_Defences - Mistake||--||10:01||Free||View in iTunes|
||LAWS11058_09_2015_Defences – Self-defence Duress and Compulsion Necessity and Provocation||--||18:29||Free||View in iTunes|
||LAWS11058_10_2015_Mental Impairment and Intoxication||--||15:51||Free||View in iTunes|
||LAWS11058_11_2015_Mental Impairment and Intoxication||--||15:51||Free||View in iTunes|