Google News organises what’s happening in the world to help you learn more about the stories that matter to you.
With Google News, you’ll see:
Your briefing – it can be nearly impossible to keep up with every story that you care about. With your briefing, you'll be able to know about what’s important and relevant to you. Your briefing updates throughout the day, bringing you the top five stories that you need to know, including local, national and world content.
Full coverage – understand the full context on any story with just a tap. Google News gives you everything online about a story and organises it for you – highlighting different perspectives, a timeline of key events, FAQs, important people and more.
Credible sources – find quality content from a diverse set of credible publishers and discover sources that you haven’t heard of before.
Stories, for you – keep up with what’s happening on the topics that you care about, whether that’s travel, politics, sports, tech or fashion.
· Experience a more comfortable nighttime reading experience with the new dark theme
· Get live scores, the latest game highlights, and upcoming schedules for sports teams
· Quickly view up-to-date news with a new briefing widget in the Today View
· Improved support for the new iPad Pro
· More easily link and manage subscribed content
· Bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Night mode please
The new app, compared to the old Google News it replaced, shows some grave usability deficiencies:
- When you open an article, swiping right to go back to the news feed is very hard to get right, if at all possible. Yet swiping left and right will inadvertently move to other (unrelated) articles in the same group, in an unspecified manner. Very frustrating, especially when this clashes with swiping controls on a web site. There should at least be an option to control the swiping behavior, so that it could work like in the old app or be disabled.
- In the old app tapping harder/longer on an article would show a pop-up option to open with a browser (which can take advantage of reading mode and any ad blocker). In the new app this option is hidden in the sharing menu, much harder to get to. Please make it easier to open with a browser. This is very important for navigating the typical content-sparse news sites out there.
- Content snippets when expanding an article were quite useful in the old app, even if short and not consistently available for all articles, as they would help you tell apart the irrelevant, clickbait articles that regularly flood the Google News feed (the title alone is never enough to do that). I understand the removal of this feature might be driven by legal concerns, nevertheless it will be sorely missed.
- Overall, the new app does a full reload of the news feed more often and unexpectedly than the old app, effectively reducing the time you get to browse the full news feed. Not sure if this is dictated by technical reasons but it is also frustrating.
Very resourceful magazine database that will keep you busy at your free time while informing you about the latest technological innovations, financial news and other various themes. Only one inconvenience: users need a gmail account to use this app.
- Google LLC
- 122.3 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- English, Afrikaans, Arabic, Belarusian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese, Zulu
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humour
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- © 2018 Google, Inc
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.