PDFScanner - Simple document scanning and OCR
By Felix Rotthowe
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
There are many applications for OS X that allow scanning of images or text. Most of them are however complex, slow or not really suited for scanning documents or letters.
PDFScanner has been created with one simple task in mind: Scanning and archiving documents as quick and easy as possible, and making them findable with Spotlight search.
When performing OCR, PDFScanner adds the recognized text directly to the scanned image as an invisible layer, so the text can be selected and copied just like in other PDF files.
PDFScanner supports the following features:
• Support for all scanners that are supported by the OS X Image Capture application (please check that using the scanner in Image Capture works before purchasing to be sure)
• Optical character recognition to make the document searchable, allow to find it via Spotlight and other search tools or copy the text.
• Supported OCR languages: English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Portuguese, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian and Finnish
• Intuitive and fast user interface to reorder, delete or edit pages
• Fully automatic straightening of crooked pages (deskew)
• Full multithreading support. Scanning, OCR and straightening is done on multiple pages in parallel and you can even reorder or delete pages while PDFScanner is still working
• „Fake Duplex“ mode to simplify scanning of double sided documents without a duplex scanner
• Saving to PDF (optionally compressing the scan inside the PDF to save disk space). PDFScanner can perform super high compression for monochrome scans (usually < 50kb per page including OCR text)
• Customizable file name patterns (include for example date, time and machine name in the filename) - PDFScanner can even guess the document title and date from the OCR text.
• It is also possible to open or import existing PDF documents and perform OCR on them via a menu option (the language can be set in the Preferences).
• Advanced users can use the included Automator action to create custom OCR workflows or folder actions
PDFScanner runs on OS X Yosemite, El Capitan and Sierra and is only available on the Mac App Store.
What's New in Version 1.11.3
Updated for macOS Sierra
Default save folder selection
Many bugfixes and under the hood improvements
Please note: Because of driver compatibility problems on Sierra, this version enables the "Image Capture Compatibility mode" by default. This makes PDFScanner behave exactly like Image Capture but may lead to slightly larger PDF files. You can disable this mode in the Preferences, but until the drivers are fixed, this may cause all kinds of errors.