The “MyObservatory” is a highly popular weather app providing personalized weather services. The app provides current weather including temperature, relative humidity, rainfall, wind direction and speed, as well as weather photograph collected from nearby weather stations at user's location, specified location, or selected weather stations. Weather photos and rainfall data will be updated at 5-minute and 15-minute intervals respectively. Other data will be updated in 10-minute interval and the update time will be displayed at the bottom of the front page.
Points to note:
1. The notification service of weather warnings, Special Weather Tips, and Location-based Rain Forecast is provided through the Apple Push Notification service (APNs). The Hong Kong Observatory cannot guarantee the reception of the above notifications by users. Users should not rely on the mobile app as the only means for reception of important weather information. Depending on factors such as network usage and quality of user's mobile phone connection, it may take 5 to 20 minutes or even longer for the app to receive the notification after it is issued by the Hong Kong Observatory.
2. Use of Location-based Rain Forecast notification will increase the battery usage and data download slightly. Users who wish to save battery usage of the app may enable the notification function in rainy days and before outdoor activities, and disable the function in sunny days and after finishing the outdoor activities. Meanwhile, selecting options of less frequent update and lower position accuracy in the advanced settings of the notification function may also save battery usage.
3. Although the “MyObservatory” is a free app, user will be charged by their mobile network service provider on the use of data service. These charges can become very expensive on roaming. Please ensure that the option of “Data Roaming” have been disabled in the settings of your mobile devices.
4. In the "My Location Settings", users can opt for using the automatic location service provided by the smartphone, or designating "My Location" on the map themselves. This location will be displayed on the main page and in "My Weather Report". If your location cannot be found, "My Location" will show the last location which was successfully found or "Hong Kong Observatory". The meteorological data displayed on "My Location" or the station you added is provided by meteorological stations nearby, and is not necessarily from a station in the same region. In case meteorological data is not available from nearby stations, data from other meteorological stations at headquarter of the Observatory, King's Park, and Star Ferry will be used instead. If this is the case, the symbol ▲ will appear to the left of the updated time.
5. The location displayed in the function of "My Weather Report" is provided by third party provider.
6. Because of the variation in both the terrian and height of where the weather stations located, and the variation of your location estimated by the mobile phone, users be noted that there would be difference between the actual situation and the weather information shown on "MyObservatory."
7. The clock on the main page of the app is displayed with HKT synchronizing automatically to the Observatory's Internet Time Server, and may not be the same as the time displayed on the smartphone.
8. The app provides link for users to browse the Observatory's Facebook Page. Users may choose to log in his/her own Facebook account. More features of Facebook can be used after logging in. Please be reminded to pay attention to the notes of the Facebook Page, and the privacy policies of the Facebook platform.
- Enhance regional information of thunderstorm warning;
- Optimize the app and fix bugs.
Ratings and Reviews
Pls fix compatibility with ios12
I love the app and use it everyday. But since I upgraded to ios12, it gets very slow in refreshing data. And it takes minute(s) to show nine-days forecast, making me have no choice but to use browser to go to your site to check it. It used to be very fast like a second or two to refresh data. That has been a month. Pls fix it!
Informative, but lack of aesthetic and user-friendly elements
Similar to the website, it is able to provide the information needed. However, the poorly designed app interface has made it terrible to use. After all these years, the app still looks the same. You can see the programming of the app is extremely weak and low-quality due to the terrible animations, buttons and pages. Revamp is necessary to reach modern standards.
It’s good that the temperature that shown in the app is often accurate! Thanks for having more and more data to show the weather, I can know more in it. But please only fix a bug, please try to fix the bug that the app crashes sometimes and it cannot open. Thanks so much!
- Hong Kong Observatory
- 146.4 MB
Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Hong Kong Observatory
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.