The Vault - Secure Password and Document Storage
By BestApps BV
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
... have trouble remembering tens or hundreds of online passwords?
... write passwords down somewhere, even though you know this is not the safest thing to do?
... use the same ("cleverly" modified) password in multiple places, instead of using properly randomized passwords that offer the best security?
... sometimes wish you had a photo of a creditcard, passport or other document handy?
... want to securely store lots of other confidential information, photos, animated GIFs, office documents, you name it?
... want all this to be secure, but still very simple to use?
Then ◆The Vault◆ is for you!
The Vault provides straightforward, easy to use, secure storage for all your documents and other data, such as passwords, login credentials and any other confidential information. It can securely store any number of documents, images, screenshots or photos along with your confidential information.
* 256-bit AES encryption *
While storage and access is simple, The Vault uses rock-solid, industry standard encryption.
[technical details below]
◆ ◆ ◆ WHY IS IT BETTER ? ◆ ◆ ◆
▸ The Vault is very simple to use, yet it employs industry-standard encryption to keep your data safe.
(Some other - payed - apps do too, but some apps advertised as "secure" really do not, and for example save your data using a simple base-64 encoding: your information looks scrambled, but is as readable as plain text when you know how).
▸ The Vault will - never - show ad banners! We hate them too.
▸ The Vault stores information on * your * device. Not on some server somewhere on the net.
▸ The Vault can securely store photos and pictures from your camera or photo library; for example a copy of your passport, credit card, or just the serial numbers of some equipment you own. Anything.
▸ The Vault can securely store - and play - animated GIFs.
▸ The Vault can securely store *any* office or other document.
▸ Many secured documents can be viewed directly from The Vault, including PDFs, Keynote, Numbers, Pages, Powerpoint, Excel and Word files.
▸ You can optionally import data exported from your previous password app (or any other source that can provide the data).
◆ ◆ ◆ TECHNICAL DETAILS ◆ ◆ ◆
This is the part that matters.
This is the part that is hard to get right.
This is the part that makes the difference between actual security and insecurity.
Claiming “military-grade” (or “industry standard” ;-) encryption is meaningless.
Even claiming “256-bit AES encryption”, in itself is not very meaningful.
Claiming “military-grade” encryption and subsequently simply hashing a master passcode - e.g. using SHA, MD5, or, god forbid, nothing at all (!) - is NOT good.
What ís good is to use a proper key derivation algorithm such as PBKDF2, scrypt or bcrypt.
AES is better than ancient algorithms such as Blowfish, Twofish or 3DES.
But even for AES: an app that does not combine encryption with authentication... is doing it wrong. Currently there is some consensus that the best construct is to first encrypt a message and then calculate a message-authentication code, instead of the other way around.
These things matter.
◆ ◆ ◆
The Vault uses PBKDF2 key derivation with an HMAC-SHA512 PRF, and HMAC-SHA256 Encrypt-then-MAC authenticated 256-bit AES encryption, using CommonCrypto functionality only. All cipher and MAC worker keys, as well as all salts and IVs, are purely random data. Keys and IVs are never reused. Each singular piece of data is encrypted with a unique random encryption key, and authenticated with a unique random HMAC key.
Your Master Passcode is never stored; and neither are the derived cipher keys.
◆ ◆ ◆
THE ONLY THING ●YOU● HAVE TO DO?
Choose a long master passcode. Make it long, and make it random!
Read more about why and how inside the app.
What's New in Version 5.3.2
▸ Two new cleaner fonts for your Notes
▸ Auto-hiding of sensitive content now recognizes "CVC" credit card codes
▸ Several minor bug fixes and improvements
Update 5.0 - 5.2.6
- Improved Import Feature
- Auto fill-out email address in "Mail:User:Pass:" Templates
- Adds PDF Preview - Quickly preview, search or print PDF documents sent to The Vault - without having to login.
- Optionally inline SecurePhotos and Document making your Note text automatically flow around it
- Tap to re-hide a temporarily revealed Hidden Folder
- Adds new dynamic Folder type to boost your productivity: "Most recently edited Notes"
- Adds PDF Page-curl, Horizontal-page, Horizontal continuous-scroll, Vertical-page and Vertical continuous-scroll view modes
- Improves handling of Master Passcode updates
- Improved key derivation: The Vault has always used 256-bit AES encryption. It still does. The Vault 5 improves the way keys are derived from your master passcode and how the way these keys are handled within the app.
- Adds auto-insertion of a properly randomized password when inserting any password Template Note
- Updated Photo Editor
- Improved displaying of PDFs
- Improved handling of encrypted PDFs
- Send & Receive SecureBackup bundles directly to and from iCloudDrive
Update 4.8 - 4.9.9
- Autosaves your changes while you are editing your Notes, thus minimizing possible loss of work in the event of trouble, to at most the last 10 seconds.
- Updated the Undo feature to work alongside the new Autosave feature: even though all your changes are now automatically saved, you can still undo the saved changes and revert your Note to the state it was in when you opened it.
- Improved handling of Template insertion, auto-positioning your cursor for immediate text input
- Much improved handling for tap-activation of HotContent
- Adds Auto-hiding of sensitive HotContent !
- Improved PDF rendering
- Improved iOS9 support
- Improved HotContent Parsing
Update 4.0 - 4.7.5
Duress-protection for TouchID users: If you are under duress (somebody is forcing your hand to use the TouchID sensor to open your Vault), shake your device or quickly hit Cancel instead to completely disable TouchID access to The Vault. From this point on it is technically *impossible* to re-enable TouchID access to your Vault without first manually entering your passcode.
Improved SecureSync efficiency, requiring fewer re-syncs
Improved HotContent parsing:
+ better detection of IBANs
+ new detection of answers to online security questions for easier copy-pasting
+ better handling options for usernames that are email addresses
Add Rich Text Formatting to your Notes!
Optional read-only mode for existing Notes - per user request
Within Note full text searching
SecureShare: simple secure sharing of Notes with anyone
Support for .pptx, .docx and .xlsx secure storage including in-app viewing
Extend Export feature to also export a single human readable file for physical storage (for example in safe, or at a notary)
Delete SecureSync data from devices that have not synced *today*.
Per user request (to purge the SecureSync data from a stolen device).
Templates: When adding a Note from any Folder view, you now get to option to immediately apply a Note Template!
Animated Gif support!
Securely store *and* view animated from within The Vault
Hidden Folders feature!
Completely and untraceably hide the existence of selected Folders and their Notes!
Copy-paste images, including animated gifs, directly into The Vault.
Bold font option for those with less than 20/20 vision.
Per user request.
Gallery mode: for Notes with multiple Photos: swipe left or right to cycle between fullscreen photos
Force-lock The Vault by locking your device using the Power button, bypassing the passcode delay.
Many new search results tweaks: see the new options on the Preferences page!
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: 26 June 2017
- Version: 5.3.2
- Size: 72.4 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: BestApps BV
- © 2011-2017 BestApps
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- theVault Secure Backup & RestoreHK$ 15.00
- The Vault Secure SynchronizationHK$ 78.00
- theVault ExportHK$ 15.00
- theVault securePDFHK$ 38.00
- theVault ImportHK$ 15.00