By Ben McCarthy
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
There's always a better camera than the one you have with you.
And that's Obscura.
Designed with intuitive controls, comfortable ergonomics, and beautiful filters, Obscura is the camera that gets out of your way. Despite it's simplicity, it’s deceptively powerful. Obscura brings the kind of controls you’d expect from professional DSLRs to your iPhone.
Obscura has always given you powerful manual control over ISO, exposure, focus, and shutter speed. New in the latest major update are gesture-based exposure and focus controls that offer effortless adjustments to those settings with just a swipe of your thumb, letting you quickly get the perfect image no matter the conditions. But don’t worry, great auto-focus and auto-exposure controls are there for more casual shooting.
All that control means Obscura helps you take incredible photos that are instantly ready to share with the world.
Get creative with a wide range of live filters that display over the camera preview. Just swipe to effortlessly switch between filters and see exactly what your images will look like before you take them. Or swipe across to your photo library apply filters after the fact.
- Filtered, RAW, and Live Photo Capture
(Supported Devices: SE, 6s, 6s Plus, 7, 7 Plus, 9.7" iPad Pro)
- Focus controls and exposure controls: quickly lock with a single tap or new control wheels for manual adjustment
- Manual ISO controls to easily set the camera sensitivity
- Manual shutter speed controls to easily set the duration of the image capture
- Flash controls
- White balance controls with presets for daylight, cloud, tungsten and fluorescent light
- Pinch to zoom
- Spirit level to help you get level perfectly horizons
- Rule of Thirds and Square Grids, because you can’t beat classic compositions
- Focus Peaking: highlights sharp areas to help when focusing
- 28 Gorgeous Filters
- Quick access to camera roll and fast sharing
- Quick access to filters
- Every control is easily reachable with one thumb
Some recommendations from people who care about the fine details:
“It’s almost like using a digital single-lens reflex camera.”
- New York Times
“Obscura is a terrific app for mobile photographers who just want to get on with taking pictures, without the software getting in the way. The beauty of it is in its simplicity.”
- Jeffery Saddoris
“My favorite third-party iPhone camera app (and the only one that’s on my first home screen).”
- John Gruber
Made by Ben Rice McCarthy
More info at
What's New in Version 4.1.5
Lots and lots of bug fixes. I know many of them are long overdue.
Apologies for the delay, I've recently moved from Ireland to New York and haven't had a lot of time to dedicate to Obscura. But there are good things in the pipeline to look forward to.
In terms of more exciting changes:
- There's now an indicator to show you what camera mode you're using.
- An option in Obscura's settings to always open the camera to a specific mode (for those RAW enthusiasts out there)
- A redesigned information bar at the top of the camera view which makes it clearer when camera settings change
- 4,99 €
- Category: Photo & Video
- Updated: 02 February 2017
- Version: 4.1.5
- Size: 81.2 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: Ben McCarthy
- © Ben Rice McCarthy
Compatibility: Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.