By Geoff Martindale
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
YanKanji contains 475 kanji inspired by the 1980s series "Let's Learn Japanese". Alternatively known as "Yan and the Japanese People".
- 325 kanji in episodes 1 to 13
- 150 more kanji in example phrases
- quiz on each episode or all 325 kanji
- onyomi and kunyomi readings in hiragana
- 325 example phrases (Japanese, romaji, English)*
- Kodansha Kanji Learner's entry number**
- list of almost-identical kanji (Twins)
- list of all kanji for easy browsing
- review of katakana and hiragana
- no internet connection required
- Click on Yan Kanji Support for video and sample phrases
The sentence structures in the app generally follow the sentence structures in the book. Episode 1 begins with basic things like “I am a student”, episode 2 covers "there is/are" and position, and so on. For some examples click Yan Kanji Support (below).
The kanji quiz can be taken in English or onyomi / kunyomi. So if getting a BANZAI score (100%) seems too easy, just tap the wide button at the bottom of the screen to change the question style to onyomi or kunyomi.
This app will probably be most useful for people who already have a basic understanding of Japanese. Yan Kanji may also be of interest to anyone tired of the JLPT lists or curious about the indomitable Yan!
* These have been verified by native Japanese speakers. If there are still mistakes or typos please let me know via the contact form on my website. Comments and suggestions are welcome.
** The number at the top of the screen. For example, the entry number for cat is 391. I do not have any affiliation with Kodansha but this dictionary has stroke order diagrams and Unicode values for each kanji, which is great for app developers!
What's New in Version 1.6
- added 25 kanji and 13th and final episode
- added katakana and hiragana review
- expanded TWINS list to 40 kanji
- Rp 9.500
- Category: Education
- Updated: 17 February 2010
- Version: 1.6
- Size: 0.2 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: Geoff Martindale
- © Geoff Martindale
Compatibility: Requires iOS 2.2.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.