Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Boatie is an invaluable source of information for all who enjoy recreational boating in UK coastal waters. Developed and used by a keen sailor, after 6 years it remains the popular choice and 'go-to' app of thousands.
• 'Port' display for over 700 primary and secondary ports from UK, Ireland and the Channel Islands. This gives you a tide table for the next 7 days, along a meteogram of 3 hourly weather forecasts and daylight times, position relative to closest springs or neaps and moon phase. For 400 ports, there is a tidal curve predictions for the current day. This is extendable to the full 7 days with a one-off in-app purchase. With the curves you can see the height predicted for any time - or visa versa.
• Tidal Streams for 7 days. Pan and zoom the map to show your preferred area, and scroll along the time. Touch and hold to see the forecasted set and drift. This data covers the UK coastline except the north of Scotland, Outer Hebrides, Orkneys and Shetland Isles (i.e. roughly north of the Caledonian canal)
• Weather: the current Inshore and Shipping forecasts, and synoptic charts for Northern Atlantic and NW Europe.
• Navigation: displays your current GPS position, speed-over-ground, course-over-ground as well as distance and heading to user-configurable waypoints. Waypoints can be imported or exported as GPX files and ordered within the file to allow quick switching to the next waypoint. A built-in compass shows the direction to the current waypoint.
• Reference: a useful set of information easily to hand whether you're out on the water or doing your theory course. It currently includes:
- Day shapes
- Navigation lights
- Sound signals
- Beaufort scale
- Forecast terminology
- Inshore forecast areas map
- Signal flags & phonetic alphabet
- VHF Channel usage
- IALA A Buoyage
An internet connection is required for some features, although the data is then cached for short periods for use whilst out sailing. In practice, for weather you should aim to have a connection twice a day - and for tides every other day.
So, next time you are meeting the crew in the pub for planning your weekend, or when you're out enjoying it, take Boatie to have the key information you need with you on your iPhone.
Please do let me know your feedback - I'm always very grateful for the positive reviews entered in the app store - it's a great way of showing your appreciation and helps reassure others about to purchase. However, if you have questions, find problems or have suggestions for future improvements please use the facilities in the app or on my website to contact me. App store feedback is anonymous so I can't reply to comments made there.
What's New in Version 4.1.0
New features in this version are:
- added display of the 'general situation' weather forecast.
- addition of 2015 Solent waypoints
- big improvements to bulk changes to waypoints: you can now select multiple waypoints either to delete or create a new file.
- The presentation order and titles of heading and distance to waypoint is changed
- The view for settings is made full screen - this helps with using the sideways slider without closing the window.
- Tides are displayed for ports that only have high waters and dry at low tide.
- A new option to ignore the IOS compass calibration - use this if you don't want to be interrupted but remember to move the device to calibrate and reduce interference.
There are also several minor bug fixes and and improvements.
Thank you to everyone who's left feedback in the app store (or directly to me). Its been really great to build a 5* reputation for the new Boatie. Unfortunately doing an update resets the feedback status, so please do take a second to refresh your feedback.
- Category: Sports
- Updated: 24 March 2015
- Version: 4.1.0
- Size: 10.8 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: James Eddison
- © James Eddison
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimised for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.