Concussion Education and Assessment
The Concussion Smart App is a new tool that helps coaches and parents recognise whether an individual is exhibiting/reporting the signs and symptoms of a suspected concussion. The app allows a coach or parent to respond quickly and appropriately to this potentially serious medical situation. It informs on the signs and symptoms of a concussion, how to self-monitor and when to seek medical advice following a hit to the head. Concussion is a manageable injury; however it can lead to long term difficulties or even fatality if not taken seriously.
Benefits and features
The concussion test feature has three different tests, these include
1) Side-line quick check - The Maddocks questions are validated for side-line evaluation only. They are a list of five questions that are part of an assessment for concussion on the sports side-line following a hit to the head
2) Complete Concussion Test – Developed from the SCAT3 this is a more detailed concussion test and assessment that can be used by a coach or parent to monitor an individual after a knock to the head to monitor if they need further medical advice.
3) Clinician Corner - SCAT3 - The SCAT3 is a standardized tool for evaluating injured athletes for concussion. The SCAT3 is designed for use by medical professionals. This assessment can be completed on the smart phone with an option to email to print for your records
Signs and Symptoms
A list of the signs and symptoms of a concussion allowing coaches and parents to know how to educate themselves to be able to identify a concussion
Return to Play Guide
After an individual suffers a concussion a Return to play Guide should be followed before returning to the field of play. This is a guided step-by-step, graduated, exercise-limited process. The player should avoid activities that require concentration or attention until symptoms have been absent for a minimum of 24 hours. If signs or symptoms persist at any rehabilitation stage do not allow the player to move onto the next stage until symptom free.
Rest = Recovery
After an initial concussion the individual should subscribe to complete and utter rest
The apps information section helps coaches and parents to make an informed decision regarding how to proceed after a child or players injury. This feature includes answers to Frequently Asked Questions for coaches and parents
Tell a Friend
If you like this app and want to help ‘Knock the Issue of Concussion on the Head’ you can share this app with your friends or followers and help reduce the number of concussions continuing to play while concussed.
Acquired Brain Injury Ireland is Ireland's leading provider of Community Based Neuro- Rehabilitation services for people with an acquired brain injury. For more information visit http://abiireland.ie
Sponsored by Medtronic and Covidien
Minor bug fixes
- Peter Bradley Foundation Ltd
- 6.1 MB
- Requires iOS 7.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this application.
- Frequent/Intense Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2015 Acquired Brain Injury Ireland
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.