The Independent.ie news app brings you the latest breaking news, local Irish and international news, sport, business, lifestyle and entertainment stories from Independent.ie. The independent.ie app is totally free to use. It was awarded a Special Mention in the Best News Mobile Service category at the WAN-IFRA European Digital Media Awards, 2017.
• ‘Top Stories’ provides a curated feed of the latest, breaking stories from Ireland and overseas from Independent.ie’s award winning journalists.
• ‘Latest’ offers a chronological feed of the most recent stories.
• Users can personalise their menus to reorder their feeds and add feeds of particular stories. Like GAA? Hit the star button in the hamburger menu and it will be added to your navigation.
• Don’t have time to read a particular story? Use the bookmarking function to save it for later, or to read offline.
• Have an Apple Watch? Get story summaries, glance-able headlines and news alerts on your wrist
• Share stories to your social networks, or email/SMS to a friend
• Video, audio and photo galleries
• Related stories and topics allow you to find out more about a story, its background and context.
• Get news alerts for breaking news.
You can unsubscribe from push notifications in your device’s Notifications settings: find the Independent.ie News app in the list of your installed apps and disable ‘Allow Notifications’."
If you’ve any problems, comments or suggestions for improving the independent.ie news app, please contact us at email@example.com or leave us a review.
• Full support for iPhone X
• Bug fixes
• Performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Recent iOS update fixed issues
Update: widget back working, issues resolved.
Ui needs iPhone X update
Although the app works, you can clearly tell the design has not been adapted to the new iPhone. The menu button is nearly on the clock/time, and the logo is partially cut off at the top.
Annoying random ad playing
Deleted the app as it would randomly start playing a Laya Healthcare ad/podcast. I don’t mind ads popping up throughout the app but this is very intrusive and the only way I could stop it was to close out of the app. Decided to delete it altogether as it was so annoying. Pity as the app is quite good otherwise.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.