Reading the American Novel 1865-1914
G. R. Thompson
This book is available for download with iBooks on your Mac or iOS device, and with iTunes on your computer. Books can be read with iBooks on your Mac or iOS device.
An indispensable tool for teachers and students of American literature, Reading the American Novel 1865-1914 provides a comprehensive introduction to the American novel in the post-civil war period.
- Locates American novels and stories within a specific historical and literary context
- Offers fresh analyses of key selected literary works
- Addresses a wide audience of academics and non-academics in clear, accessible prose
- Demonstrates the changing mentality of 19th-century America entering the 20th century
- Explores the relationship between the intellectual and artistic output of the time and the turbulent socio-political context