By Health On the Net (HON)
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
HealthPedia is an open encyclopedia of trustworthy medical and health information and multimedia materials selected among thousands of websites. Through integrated audio functionalities, you can listen to HealthPedia in any setting. HealthPedia is a mutlingual service, offered in English, French and Spanish. HealthPedia enables users to inquire about the diagnosis, symptoms, prognosis, treatment, prevention, follow-up and therapy of various medical conditions. HealthPedia has a selected number of ongoing clinical trials and scientific references, presented based on the specialization level of the user. Videos from television broadcasts about various health themes are also included, allowing users to watch with a critical and informative eye. Several functionalities are available for easier access for seniors, such as text size or audio level adjustment. A search engine based on more than 7'000 websites with health content that are in accordance with the HONcode will answer your questions.
The content was selected by the medical team of the Foundation. These are the trustworthy health websites abiding by the HONcode Code of Ethics http://www.hon.ch/HONcode/Patients/Visitor/visitor_f.html. The HONcode-certified websites show the following information:
1. Authoritative. Indicates the qualification of the authors.
2. Complementarity. Complements and does not replace the patient-physician relationship.
3. Privacy. Protects the personal information submitted by the visitors of the website.
4. Attribution. Cites the sources and dates of the published information.
5. Justifiability. Justifies every affirmation on benefits or disadvantages of products or treatments.
6. Transparency. Makes the information as accessible as possible, identifies the webmaster, and supplies a contact address.
7. Financial disclosure. Presents the sources of funding.
8. Advertising policy. Separates the advertising policy from the editorial policy.
Health On the Net Foundation was created in 1996 to encourage the production of quality online health information intended for patients, healthy people, families and health professionals, and in order to facilitate access to most relevant and latest trustworthy medical data. HON is a non-governmental, nonprofit organization commissioned by the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations. HON is known for its pioneering work in the domain of ethics of online medical information, notably for the establishment of its code of conduct of ethics, the HONcode. The HONcode has been adopted by 7'300 websites covering 102 countries. The HONcode provides guidelines for website owners to implement minimal mechanisms, allowing for the production of quality, objective, and transparent medical information adapted to the mission and the audience of the website.
To purchase HealthPedia is also to contribute to the quality of online health information by supporting the Health On the Net Foundation.
Note: A Wifi connection superior to 500 kbps is required to watch the television broadcasts. We are currently working on creating shorter versions.
What's New in Version 1.2
- Opportunity to make a donation that will be fully allocated to a HON project.
- Database update has been integrated as functionality. It allows to check during every application launch if new medical information is already available on HON server, and to update the current local medical information (audio, text, video) on iOS device.
- Various fixed bugs and improvements.
- Category: Medical
- Updated: 21 October 2011
- Version: 1.2
- Size: 4.4 MB
- Languages: English, French, Spanish
- Developer: Health On the Net (HON)
- © 2011 Health On the Net Foundation
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.1.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.