Amphetamine is a little app that lives in your menu bar. With Amphetamine, you can effortlessly override your energy saver settings and keep your Mac awake.
- Keep your Mac (and optionally its display and drives) awake
- Choose from numerous activation time presets, or enter your own
- Keep your Mac awake while specific apps are running
- Schedule activation/deactivation for specific times of the day
- Activate/deactivate with a single click in the menu bar
- Activate automatically at launch login
- Activate when connected to specific WiFi networks
- Keep drives (HDDs/SSDs) connected to your Mac awake
- Use global hotkeys for activation/deactivation
- Receive alerts while Amphetamine is running or when it activates/deactivates
- Auto-deactivate when your Mac's battery drops below a set threshold
- Auto-activate when you connect your Mac's power adapter
- Allow/prevent screen saver
- Use your own status icons
- Custom notification sounds
- AppleScript support
Amphetamine supports Retina displays and OS X's dark mode.
Amphetamine is 100% free (no ads, no in-app purchases).
After you launch Amphetamine, you must activate it by clicking on its menu icon. If you do not activate Amphetamine, your Mac will sleep normally, per your energy saver settings.
Please note that keeping your Mac laptop awake while the lid is closed is not possible for an app from the Mac App Store.
Amphetamine requires OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion or higher.
- Bug fixes and other minor improvements
- Option to send a notification on manual start/stop of session in Preferences
- Resolves an issue where some Preferences would not save
- Improves status icon quality on non-Retina displays in systems prior to Yosemite
- Other small bug fixes and improvements
- Set up an infinite number of Triggers, each with its own set of conditions
- Expanded schedule options for Triggers
- Trigger sessions and "single-use" sessions now operate independently
- New icons and sounds
- Hide/show icon in Dock option in Preferences
- Complete rewrite of application
- A bunch of little things you probably won't notice
Note: Amphetamine³ drops support for OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and 10.7 Lion (sorry!) and now requires 10.8 Mountain Lion or higher.
Ratings and Reviews
Requesting to add an important feature !!
I am using Amphetamine for a while and I kinda love using it !! It’s best for iMacs , Mac Mini and the Mac Pro , but Amphetamine is’nt yet laptop ready ,, when ever I turn down the lid the my MacBook Air goes to sleep even if Amphetamine has a session opened !! May be it’s there but I could’nt find it ,, I’ll check it out and if it’s not there I plead to get this added ,, its so kind of you that you gave us such a powerfull app for free ,, thank you !!! I consider this feature to be the one and only missing feature in Amphetamine ,, It would be great to see laptop lid closing sleep problem fixed soon !!!
I have never used an app which so simple yet so powerfull. This shows you do not need to provide a ton feature to make something usefule.
Simple yet powerful
This is probably the best and simple app I have used. Kudos to the developer. I also suggested this app to my friends. They loved it.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.