Too many windows to manage? Big display? Or getting lost in multiple monitors? HazeOver is for you! ▶ TRIAL version: HazeOver.com
Get rid of distractions and focus on your current task. HazeOver automatically highlights the front app window by dimming all background windows.
• Forget about having to minimize, close or hide windows to keep your Desktop sane.
• Spend less time managing windows. Window clutter will no longer bother you.
• Got a big screen? Then going full screen is not an option for you. HazeOver to the rescue!
• Multiple displays? HazeOver will let you know which screen is focused or highlight a window on each monitor.
• Working at night? Reduce brightness of macOS interface without sacrificing legibility or color accuracy of the front window.
• Power up the Dark Mode in macOS Mojave and reduce background contrast.
Heavy multi-tasking kills your concentration. All that tweets, emails, chat messages and lolcats staring back at you from the background. They strive for your attention. And you only have that much of it.
Don’t let yourself drown in scores of open windows. Hiding, switching, looking for the right one, more hiding, more switching. Calm down, breathe in, breathe out, launch HazeOver and finally concentrate on what’s you’ve been up to.
HazeOver automatically highlights an active window or app when you switch windows. The less important things gently fade away in the background, helping increase your productivity.
Set the hazing intensity and speed to your liking. Be it a soft dimming, an undemanding hint to focus on your workflow. Or a powerful dark background for outright dedication to your current task.
• Desktop is automatically revealed when focused (requires Accessibility).
• Toggle the shade with a keyboard shortcut or adjust intensity with a gesture.
• Dragging stuff between apps? Tap “fn” key and HazeOver will gracefully fade out.
Does HazeOver really help? Check on LifeHacker, CNET, MacWorld, Engadget and Product Hunt.
• Improved compatibility with Electron-based apps.
• Compatibility with Coherence mode of Parallels Desktop app.
• Fixed dimming of apps assigned to All Desktops (using Dock menu).
• Fixed flickering when switching Spaces with full screen apps on multiple displays.
• Settings window now respects “Reduce Motion” accessibility preference.
Ratings and Reviews
Good App but Expensive & free trial was a horrible experience
I’ve purchased the application as the feature it provides is useful. It’s expensive, sure, but there seems to be no reliable alternatives…
Although, Its free trial is one of the worst tactics I’ve seen. The application ruins it’s own purpose by posting nagging comments in the background. I figure the developer doesn’t have much business experience because it feels like he/she really thinks that it’s funny to nag their customers when they’re using a free version of the app to try it out.
The absolute surprise was that as if the nagging wasn’t enough, the developer decided to increase the font of the “Hazeover | Free Trial” tag at the bottom left corner to as big as when it litterally covered up the entire background and the text expanded beyond the screen itself.
Functionality & design is good
Developer thinks it’s appropriate to nag customers and ruin their experience
The last point makes me wish there was a better alternative available...
Developer Response ,
Hi. Thank you for the thorough review and sorry for the subpar trial experience.
I have recently updated the way the trial version works. Please contact me using Report a Problem menu and let me know if you’ve been using a recent trial version.
The trial messages are not supposed to cover the whole screen. And the nagging should only get prominent after actively using the app for about a week.
Doesn’t work when minimize the active window
Hazeover doesn’t automatically highlight the second front app when minimize the first one.
Developer Response ,
Sorry for the confusion. I think what you describe is how macOS works. When you minimize or close the last window of the front app, macOS does not switch to the next app. Pay attention to the app title in the menu bar when this happens — it stays the same. HazeOver does not interfere with app switching. If HazeOver highlighted the front window in this case, that would be wrong, because that window is not from the active app (set by you or macOS).
Please contact me if this is not what’s happening or if you’d prefer a different behavior.
This application is very handy when I work from my 27” iMac. With such a huge display, the entire screen being bright tires my eyes in no time. Ever since I started using this app to dim the inactive applications, I’m able to use the computer for a longer time without any fatigue. Thanks to the developer for such a nifty program.
- Maxim Ananov
- 5.6 MB
- OS X 10.10 or later, 64-bit processor
- English, Arabic, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2007-2019 Maxim Ananov
- ₹ 799
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.