“iA Writer creates a clean, simple and distraction-free writing environment for when you really need to focus on your words.” ***** The New York Times
“iA Writer is an example of how powerful simplicity and accessibility can be.” ***** The Guardian
“iA Writer is all about textual production—writing this phrase, this sentence, this word at this moment.” ***** WIRED
4 x Best of App Store Winner
# The Simple Writing App
iA Writer removes distractions. Giving you a calm, focused, writing space, so you can express yourself clearly.
Focus Mode dims everything but the current sentence or paragraph, helping you stay in the flow.
Don’t worry about the format. First, write in plain text. Then preview in HTML.
Search, sort, and quickly swap between documents from different clouds without leaving the window.
iA Writer includes an inverted light-on-dark-mode, perfect for working day and night.
Spot superfluous adjectives, weak verbs, repetitive nouns, false conjunctions and clean your text of the usual rumble.
Customize your templates and export to WordPress or Medium, HTML, Microsoft Word (.docx), or PDF.
# 100% Text
Embed links, pictures, tables and text files in plain text and see them in preview.
# Get in Touch
- Visit ia.net/writer for more information
- Visit ia.net/writer/support for support and feedback
- Let us know what you think on Twitter @iAWriter
This update fixes a few small bugs. It includes all the great features in iA Writer 5.2:
# A Typographic Christmas
- New typeface in three flavors
- Mono: Single character width, the classic
- Duo: Two widths, freeing M and W
- Quattro: Four widths, for a cleaner text image
- Over 1,000 optical variations seamlessly adapt to provide the best writing experience in any environment
- 14 text sizes in Editor and Preview
- Many Chinese, Japanese, and Korean typography improvements, including emphasis dots
- Bold, italic, and strikethrough commands are much more reliable and work inside words
- High quality math equation typesetting in Preview using KaTeX
# Library Locations
- Now support Desktop & Documents in iCloud
- Can be added from anywhere in iCloud Drive
# Fully-Featured Export to Microsoft Word
- Rebuilt from the ground up
- Compatible with Microsoft Word 2007 or newer, Apple Pages, and Google Docs
- Supports local images, footnotes, citations, page breaks, tables, math, headings, unordered lists, ordered lists, task lists, definition lists, blockquotes, bold, italic, CJK emphasis, strikethrough, superscript, subscript, links, horizontal rules, code
# Other Improvements
- Added visible filename when switching between tabs with hidden title bar
- Copy URL command to open files from menu in Library
- Command-Click links in Editor
- Use - to exclude words from searches: -microsoft word
- Inline code command
- Typing suggestions can be enabled in Touch Bar
- Korean and Russian localizations
- Added help articles
- Better hashtag detection
Ratings and Reviews
No use for casual writing.
Seeing the 4 and 5star rating I purchased it on the premise that it will help me write better with proper syntax.
Apart from stats on word counts and letter count, which anyhow can be got working either in word or pages, I didn’t see anything that is out of the world to help me write better. At least I did not get to see any suggestions on syntax. On clicking syntax, it just colors the relevant category of words -verbs, adjectives etc. This is too dumb for me to be of any use. May be there are people who may find it useful.
I looked for the way of returning but SW opened cannot be returned under Apple policy. So it stays. Not happy.
Developer Response ,
We're sorry to hear the app isn't for you. We take a lot of care to design the app so that it is a joy to write in. When there is a welcoming page to write upon, you'll write more and improve through putting in the work. The additional tools like Syntax Control allow you to easily spot where you may have added a weak verb or superfluous adjective.
Best Writing App Ever. Period.
I have been using this app for over a year now, and nothing comes even close. I would just like to thank the developers behind this app for creating a beautiful experience called iA Writer. Needless to try say I tried out a bunch of apps before sticking with this one, and every one of them tried their best to annoy me in some way or the other. This one simply works.
Needs batch addition of #tags to files
Needs batch addition of #tags to files for better organisation on both iOS and Mac
Also what to do if i want to combine 3 or 4 files into single file ?
Developer Response ,
Adding #tags to files is intentionally bottom-up so that you can organize while you write. Going through your pre-existing library to tag files need only be done once and we found it a wonderful way to refamiliarize ourselves with old, forgotten content.
Combining files has been possible for a while now using Content Blocks. Details for this are spelled out in our blog post on iA Writer 4: https://ia.net/writer/blog/ia-writer-4
- Information Architects GmbH
- 21.9 MB
- OS X 10.11 or later, 64-bit processor
- English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2010–2018 Information Architects GmbH
- ₹ 2,299
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.