Through virtual reality, The New York Times puts you at the center of the stories that only we can tell.
From embedding with Iraqi forces as they fight to retake Falluja from ISIS to climbing the spire of the World Trade Center with professional mountaineer Jimmy Chin or setting foot on the alien world of Pluto, NYT VR delivers on the promise of VR to bring you to places you can’t normally go.
Experience our award-winning virtual reality films by New York Times journalists in an immersive 360-degree video experience.
For the most immersive NYT VR experience, watch our VR films with Google Cardboard. If you don’t have one, you can still watch our VR stories on your smartphone.
We’ll be posting new virtual reality films every month or so.
-Exclusive 360 videos for Cardboard or smartphone-only mode
-Option to stream or download films
Have feedback? Need help? Email NYTVR@nytimes.com.
Bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Super frustrating app
This app tested the limits of one’s patience.
The user interface is far too simple as the expense of functionality. The parallax effect is dizzying.
There is no way to see videos downloaded on the device. Nor any way to save videos to watch later. The app takes far too long to load when starting up and wants to load again if the device sleeps. There is no way to put up a reference on screen so you can make adjustments to your VR device. You kind of have to figure it out till you’re not dizzy any more.
The videos are large in size but that is too be expected. Good luck streaming them on anything but super fast internet. Try downloading and it will only download when the app is in the foreground. When it’s done downloading, there is no way to tell if it’s downloaded or not. Try to play the downloaded video and it takes so long to load like it was streaming from the internet. Plays for second, makes me wait a minute before playing another second. There is no way to delete the downloaded videos within the app. So it will happily occupy your storage unless you delete the app.
The videos on the app don't load.
Takes forever to load
- The New York Times Company (iDP)
- 21.3 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Wi-Fi (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation) and iPod touch (6th generation).
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- © 2017, The New York Times Company
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.