By Fabrizio Boco
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Integration between Mac and Arduino has never been so easy!
Also ready for MKR1000, Yun, Intel Galileo and RFduino (www.rfduino.com).
Arduino Manager is an app to control the Arduino board and receive information from it through:
- USB port
- Arduino Ethernet Shield
- Arduino WiFi Shield
- nRF8001 Bluefruit LE
- Bluefruit Bluefruit SPI Friend
- CC3000 WiFi
The app shows a grid and clicking on it you can insert specialized widgets to send and receive information from Arduino.
Available widgets are:
- Display Widget: shows values coming from your Arduino (i.e. Temperature). It can show numbers with 0-3 decimal digits or rolling text. Double click on it to choose to show text or change the precision
- LED Widget: shows a LED that can be turned on and off through digital values from Arduino. Double click on a Led Widget to change LED color
- Switch Widget: sets a digital value to Arduino
- Switch & LED Widget: a combination of the two previous widgets to save space when they are used together with the same variable
- Push Button Widget: temporarily sets a digital value to Arduino. Double click on it to change the button color
- Knob Widget: sets a non-digital value to Arduino
- SD Widget: shows the list of files in the SD Card. Selecting a file, user can see the file content or save the file on the Mac. This Widget doesn’t work through the USB yet
- Graph Widget: graphs values in (almost) real time coming from your Arduino (e.g. instantaneous temperature). Double click on it to zoom it in and change values range
- Logged Data Graph Widget: graphs up to 5 values logged onto the SD Card attached to Arduino. Double click on it to zoom it in and then refresh values. iOSController library and iOSControllerWiFi library have helping functions to log data onto the SD Card
- Alarm Widget: configures an alarm on the Arduino board which is then fired at the desired time. The alarm is fired even if the Mac is not connected and retained across power off - power on cycles
- Command Widget: allows to send a command (text message) to Arduino once the yellow button is clicked. Double click the widget to enter the command text. You can add more Command Widgets to send different commands
- Sound Alarm Widget: sounds an alarm each time the associated condition is verified. Double click on it to configure the condition and the alarm to sound
- Threshold Widget: allows setting a threshold to the Arduino board (e.g. the room temperature under which the board has to start an heater). Double click on it to set the threshold’s range and its actual value
- Console Widget: helps the user to debug the Arduino code, receiving and displaying debugging messages
Other widgets are available, please see the support site and documentation.
Each widget is associated with a variable (i.e. T), which is either written or read by the sketch running on the board allowing the MAC app receiving information from Arduino or controlling it.
The app can be easily connected to more boards (one at a time), to switch from one board to another tap on the Configuration Widget. User can easily manage different lists of widgets and switch among them in order to control different projects. Any widget list can be shared between own devices and/or other users, through an email message.
Many Arduino libraries are available to easily integrate your own projects with Arduino Manager. Libraries, related documentation, demo sketches and a video tutorial are available for free at my site.
Available In-App purchases:
- Code Generator: allows to generate the communication infrastructure between the Arduino board and iOS device and the code for each chosen widget in order to simplify the programming effort on Arduino board
- PIN Code Generator: allows the user to associate a pin to each Widget and generate the code to manage that pin. In most cases this avoid writing any code
What's New in Version 4.5
- Support for MKR1000
- Fixed some issue with serial connection