iPhiGéNie, maps of France
By Max Barel
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
iPhiGéNie is the tool of choice for outdoor maps in France, Spain and Norway.
There are GPS applications with French topographic maps inside, iPhiGéNie brings you ALL French maps from the National Geographic Institute, with a GPS inside.
FRANCE: road maps are free, topographical maps are available on subscription (7 days free use trial).
FREE WORLD-WIDE coverage though OpenStreetMap/OpenCycleMap.
SPAIN: FREE topographical maps from spanish IGN et catalan ICC
NORWAY: FREE access to maps from the Norwegian Mapping Authority (Kartverket)
On all these maps, iPhiGéNie displays your exact location.
Every MAP displayed once IS KEPT ON THE DEVICE and is available even with no network (off-line mode).
IMPORTANT: Most Geoportail map services and resources are tied to a personal subscription, recurring by default. See conditions below. The application installation is free for 7 calendar days. Optional Vmax module do not include map subscription.
In App Purchases:
* Provisional cache OPTION (obligation from Geoportal) : This anual option allows to automatically load every layer and scale you select in areas that you can define as you like. This fills a second map store (cache) of maps to ensure you'll have it on the field, even with no network connection. This provisional cache adds to the regular automatic one. No need to display every map you need manually.
* French coastal maps OPTION. Lasts one year.
* French aviation OACI map OPTION. Lasts one year.
All above options are available for ANNUAl subscription only and each adds a separate maps storage (cache) of 40 000 tiles (≈1 Go).
* Vmax module: This optional module, available through In App Purchase, add following features:
- Waypoints/POI management, with photos: Add, file, annotate, export-import in GPX file format.
- Tracks and route: Recording, manual creation and editing, following, export-import in GPX file format.
- Automatic downloading of maps along a predefined track.
- iCloud sharing for tracks and waypoints.
- Search address or any toponym present on a French map. Automatic creation of relevant waypoint.
- "GPS beacon" feature: People you authorize, can follow your position on a detailed map, either on support web site on inside the application. No tracking is done unless you activate it.
- Follow your friends beacon: Automatic update of followed positions. Very handful to find each other in the middle of nowhere or see how far are your fellows.
- One time purchase. Vmax module is a definitive purchase. You may use it with no Geoportal valid subscription, dispaying tracks and waypoints on available free maps.
- GPS "beacon": Warning, given the phone network nature et battery capacity, you should never engage security on the availability of this feature.
- On iPod, no GPS position.
- GPS and battery lasting: the GPS is shut down when the application is sent to background, if there is no activated function requiring it (track recording, "GPS beacon"). Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery lasting.
- English speaking users are welcome to ask any question in the English section of the forum on the support web site.
- Recurring subscriptions to Geoportail map service
- Yearly and monthly subscription.
- Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
- Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period
- Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period.
- Subscriptions may be managed and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user’s Account Settings after purchase.
- No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period
- Any unused portion of the free trial period, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to Geoportail map service.
What's New in Version 5.3
- Add a fast zoom tool (long touch on scale button). See online manual.
- Improve zoom gesture: unzoom on 2 fingers touch, wider manuel zoom factor.
- Correct occasional problems, loosing GPS tracking in background on iOS7.
- iOS7: hidding status bar & transparent toolbar for more map estate. Status bar shows on single tap and on network access.
- Change GPS "automatic shutdown" preference to now allow tracking to ultimate battery drain if not active. See online manual.
- Notification if track is interrupted in background.
5.2.1: Fix for an iOS 7.0.2 bug preventing in-App purchase by always selecting Vmax module iAP.
- iOS7 compatible: UI and fix for a bug preventing GPX import as well as several crash conditions on map refresh.
- A new tool to mesure distances on map (two fingers long touch).
- Several minor bug fixes.
5.1.1: Correct à bug pausing a track record at slow speed when device is locked with sleep button.
5.1: Add knots and nautical miles; add a tool to divise track in segments; correct several crashing bugs related to track tools.
5.0.2: Minor bug fixes on cache purge operation
5.0.1: Fix a latchup => crash at launch if tiles cache is large
Multi-layers / multi-sources cartography.
IGN (F): A new mixed nautical/terrestrial layer is available as an option. Perfect for coastal outdor activities. Several new layers availaible in the base subscription (militay 19th century maps, new topographical variants, administrative limits).
Aerial OACi maps available as an option.
SPAIN: FREE topographical maps from spanish IGN et catalan ICC. Also a basic maps set.
OpenCycleMap: 3 cartographic variants (FREE).
Other maps sources are possible and will be added (see support site).
This release gives more control on displayed maps layers. Track drawing is possible on cadastral also.
Fade mode between different maps sources France/Spain/OSM
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: 14 November 2013
- Version: 5.3
- Size: 15.5 MB
- Languages: English, French
- Developer: Max Barel
- © Max Barel
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.