Welcome to Amphetamine 4, the most awesome keep-awake utility ever created for macOS. Amphetamine can keep your Mac, and optionally its display, awake through a super simple on/off switch, or automatically through easy-to-configure Triggers. Amphetamine is extremely powerful and includes advanced features for those who need them, yet remains super intuitive and simple to use for those who don't need all the bells and whistles.
=== Click to Keep Your Mac Awake ===
Quickly start a keep-awake session from Amphetamine's menu to keep your Mac awake.
• Indefinitely, for a specified amount of time, or until a specified time
• While a file is downloading
• While a specific app is running
=== Advanced Automation ===
Create a Trigger to automatically keep your Mac awake.
• While an external display is connected
• While a USB or Bluetooth device is connected
• While a specific app is running
• While a specific app is running and frontmost
• While your Mac's battery is charging and/or when the battery is above a threshold
• While your Mac's AC power adapter is connected
• While your Mac has a specific IP address
• While your Mac is on a specific WiFi network
• While your Mac is connected to a VPN service
• While headphones or another audio output is in use
• While a specific drive or volume is mounted
• While your Mac's CPU is being utilized to a specific threshold
=== What's the Catch? ===
No catch. Amphetamine is 100% free. It's a gift from me, to you. Enjoy!
• No advertisements
• No in-app purchases
• Nothing to unlock/no "pro" version
• No annoying prompts asking you to review Amphetamine
• No links for other paid apps
• No tracking
• No data-harvesting
=== What Else Does Amphetamine Do? ===
Amphetamine is the most powerful and customizable keep-awake utility ever created for macOS. Some other notable features are:
• Keep your drive awake with Drive Alive
• AppleScript support
• Use your own menu bar icons
• Allow your display to sleep while keeping your Mac awake
• Allow screen saver to run after a customizable period of inactivity
• Optional session time remaining display in the menu (with 12/24 hour support)
• Auto-end session if your Mac's battery is low
• Hot key support for starting/ending sessions
=== System Requirements + Other Details ===
• Amphetamine requires macOS 10.11 El Capitan or higher
• Amphetamine supports Retina displays and macOS dark mode.
• To keep your Mac awake in closed-display mode, see https://support.apple.com/HT201834
=== New Features & Improvements ===
• Display Mirroring Trigger
• DNS Servers Trigger
• Idle Time Trigger
• Added Screen Saver Exception for Screen Sharing/VNC/Remote Desktop connections
• Added button to close Trigger criterion configuration windows
• Reduce motion preference to limit movement/animations in UI
• Quick Preferences now contains more helpful information
• Preferences that do not affect Trigger sessions now are identified in UI
• Reverts default behavior to left-click opens Amphetamine's menu, per Apple's requirements
=== Bug Fixes ===
• Fixes an issue that caused the Trigger screen saver to activate after 5 minutes instead of 1 minute
• Fixes an issue that caused the current time to display in Session Details when session time remaining was indeterminate
• Fixes an issue that caused adding a Screen Saver Exception to fail when Triggers were disabled
• Fixes an issue that could cause Amphetamine's menu to become transparent and overlay other windows
• Fixes an issue that could cause Amphetamine's Preferences window to not become frontmost
• Fixes a CoreAudio-related memory leak
Thank you for making an awesome app.
No problem! Thanks for writing an awesome review!
Great app, but
Great app, but too many updates with high frequency...
It’s hard being an independent developer. Trying to (in your spare time) provide a bug-free product for absolutely free. The sheer number of user-requested features that I have implemented and various configurations of Macs out there in the world makes testing difficult. Not to mention supporting as many versions of macOS as possible. I’m just a single human being; I don’t have a team of people working for me. Yes, there are sometimes bugs. The only way to fix them is through updates. Usually there is a flurry of updates immediately after a larger release (4.0, 4.1) until things get ironed out. It’s not my intention to spam you with updates. I am just trying to fix issues as they come in. I may not be the best developer out there, with my limited resources, difficult to reproduce test scenarios, and zero people to help me, but at least I have great customers like you. Thank you for not being overly critical and writing a one star review for this like others have done. ❤️