By Marcel Bresink Software-Systeme
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
NOTE: A computer with a battery compliant with the Smart Battery standard is required. All portable Apple computers with Intel processors fulfill this requirement.
More and more computers are mobile devices nowadays. The most important prerequisite for a portable computer is a chargable battery which keeps the device powered. Batteries are not really cheap replacement parts and they are subject to wear and tear. Their lifetimes should be optimized, handling them with the necessary care. Battery Monitor is a small auxiliary application useful in this regard. It offers the following features:
- Display of the charge state in the Dock: This is useful if you cannot or do not like to use the display in the menubar of OS X, e.g. when you have a screen which is not very wide.
- Display of internal battery information: In addition to the charge state, many other technical specifications, e.g. age, temperature, discharge current, number of charge cycles, expected lifetime, or capacity can be retrieved. The states of each of the battery cells and the manufacturer of the cells can also be determined.
- Capturing charge and discharge curves: The history of the readings measured by the battery unit can be displayed graphically. This way you can plot the charge and discharge curves, for example, one of the most important characteristics for the health of a battery. You can also review the graphical profile of the amperage drawn by the computer, helping to find “power guzzling applications”.
- Bookkeeping of the aging process of the battery: Battery Monitor automatically keeps a log about the charge capacity of the battery which will decrease as the battery ages. This helps you to exactly monitor how the behavior of the battery is changing over time. You can assess if your battery is working normally or if it might be defective. You can also estimate more exactly when the right time has come to purchase a new battery. For computers with replaceable battery units, Battery Monitor can of course monitor multiple battery packs at the same time.
- Notifications during charge or discharge: In addition to the display of the charge state in the Dock, Battery Monitor can optionally inform you about the progress of the charge or discharge process by other means. Inobtrusive notifications using speech or the Notification Center of OS X can be set up.
What's New in Version 2.0
- The application has been revised completely and is now optimized for the latest versions of OS X. Operating systems prior to OS X 10.9 and 32-bit processors are no longer supported.
- Updated technical information on the latest portable Macintosh computers and battery units.
- The support for high-quality speech output has been enhanced for non-English languages.
- The application now suppresses notifications on battery status changes immediately after waking from sleep mode to give the hardware more time to recover and stabilize.
- Added new feature to rename batteries in the capacity log.
- Added new feature to split a capacity log for specific cases where a replaced battery did not correctly identify as a different unit.
- Added workaround for a problem where OS X 10.10 did not update the display of history windows correctly when switching been head-up and standard display mode.
- USD 4.99
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: 27 February 2015
- Version: 2.0
- Size: 3.6 MB
- Languages: English, German
- Developer: Marcel Bresink
- © 2011 – 2015 Marcel Bresink Software-Systeme
Compatibility: OS X 10.9 or later, 64-bit processor