By Harald Schlangmann
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Harry's Sailor is a GPS based navigation tool / sailing companion. Like all apps from Harry's GPS Suite it uses an advanced GPS Engine developed and published during the last years on the PalmOS platform. For this Sailor app, the engine was expanded for the specific situation on a ship. One example for this expansion is treatment of speed. GPS is weak delivering exact speed informations at low vessel speeds making it necessary to utilize special algorithms.
This version brings a number of unique features to the iPhone platform. Examples are: visualization and measurement of heeling including a visual alarm when heeling in larger that 20 / 25 degree; display of racing rule #10: when boats are on opposite tacks, a port-tack boat shall keep clear of a starboard-tack boat; full navigation support, course can be defined using polar coordinates, defined waypoints, or using a course given; full integration of Google Maps; while navigation is started, deviation from course, distance to waypoint, and velocity made good (VMG) is displayed continuously; extensive reference on nautic information: signal flags, morse code, buoyages, lights and shapes, wind speed.
This application will be enhanced continuously. Our ambition is to provide you with the best GPS sailing tool available for the iPhone platform.
Sailor requires an iPhone or iPad with GPS (starting iPhone3G), or an iPod with an external GPS mouse.
Use of either iOS 3.1.3, or the latest iOS is recommended.
Please head to Sailor's (LapTimer's) homepage on http://www.gps-laptimer.de to get information on future development, FAQs, and more snapshots.
What's New in Version 14.0
- Added XGPS150 (NMEA) support
- Allow accent characters everywhere
- Improved Maps View and unified it with display used elsewhere (e.g. labels are positioned)
- Improved management and display of large POI sets
- Added several additional buttons to lists and details views: show in map, etc.
- Reworked the search bar behaviour to match the standard iPhone style
- Day / Night skin added, automatically changes between high contrast and black
- Added a common scheme for send / receive indicators to GPS display
- Common warning colors for all frequency gadgets, improved update rate calculation
- Several smaller bug fixes and display enhancements
- USD 2.99
- Category: Sports
- Updated: 09 September 2011
- Version: 14.0
- Size: 16.0 MB
- Languages: English, German
- Developer: Harald Schlangmann
- © Harald Schlangmann
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.