By YUICHIRO KAGE
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Navinko is a tool to reveal the soul of the city through sounds.
Through Navinko, the experience of urban discovery is enhanced by giving clues about the location and proximity of friends and groups of cyclists, as well as giving information about points of interest (POI).
Through the use of a non-intrusive audio interface, users can interact with both the city and other users in an intuitive and safe manner.
How it works :
0. Start Navinko.
1. Press start button.
2. Ride your bicycle.
3. As you get closer to a landmark, you will hear its sound.
This sound will change depending on your position and pace.
4. When you have reached the the landmark, a brief chime will sound.
5. The map allows you to check your position as well as landmarks.
If a shop has been tagged, you can get all the info you need by clicking on its icon.
Now you are ready to experience your city in a new and different way.
When you ride past an interesting location that you wish to remember later, share with your friends or the entire Navinko community, you can mark it just press LANDMARK button, and the location will be saved in your Navinko profile map. When riding near the tags of your friends or popular places that have been tagged by many users, you will receive a sound notification. This is a uniquely fun and safe way to explore, discover, and share your city.
SENSE YOUR FRIENDS (connect with people)
Similar to Navinko’s tagging feature, you can also receive sound notification when your friends are riding bikes nearby. Even if they are obstructed from your view by buildings, or are riding behind you, Navinko notifies friends of their proximity to each other and helps facilitate a spontaneous coffee break, or just a quick hello. Navinko can also introduce new friends who often ride in the same area as you by logging your routes and comparing them to those of other Navinko users.
Navinko is an audio augmented reality, social networking, navigation system for cyclists, currently being prototyped in Tokyo. It runs on a mobile platform (prototype uses iPhone). It allows users to store and share their landmarks, and interact with other riders. Using this new platform, we are trying to investigate new types of social behavior, cycling habits and new interactions with the city.
Navinko is an Urban Media project at Keio University Graduate School of Keio Media Design (KMD) in Tokyo. KMD is committed to fostering "Media Innovators" and creative global leaders who understand the core creative skills of design, technology, management, and policy in the field of media design. In collaboration with international partner institutions and research facilities, education takes a practical, hands-on, and global approach through various projects.
web: http://navinko.com - http://www.kmd.keio.ac.jp/en
Interface and the Road Traffic Law
Navinko is a research project that is innovative and explorative in terms of creating a unique experience using social media and technology while riding. However, we advise our users to use it carefully, especially paying attention to setting up volume in a way that does not obstruct their ability of hearing sounds from the environment. Alternatively, our users can consider using some technology that does not cover ears entirely, such as bone conductive headphones. As our product is available internationally, there may be differences on bicycle regulations in each country. Please pay attention to these before you start using Navinko.
ie.Tokyo Traffic Regulations Article 8
What's New in Version 1.0.1
1. Navinko is releasing a special versions of its iPhone application for TOKYO DESIGNERS WEEK. Discover and experience a variety of venues as the sounds of endangered animal species can be heard when in a venue's proximity.
Listen to your surroundings, ride or walk at your natural pace to feel and hear Tokyo as a jungle! Just switch your Navinko application settings to “Event” mode and you will be able to explore the city when a sound indicates one of the shops. You may discover something very interesting.
2. Send tweets directly to your Twitter account to share your experience with real time updates from the beginning to the end of your urban adventure.
3. Find your friends by name and/or twitter accounts.
4. Correction of the "Survey" option.
5. Be alert and ride safely when cycling in the city.
- Top page has been changed.
- Get to choose whether to walk or ride your bicycle by pressing the right button.
- Warning message about the use of Navinko while riding a bicycle. "About Navinko" will inform you on this matter.