Montessori Crosswords - Fun Phonics Game for Kids to Learn to Sound Letters & Alphabet
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Based on the proven Montessori learning method, Montessori Crosswords helps kids develop their reading, writing, and spelling skills by building words from a set of 320 word-image-audio-phonics combinations using a phonics-enabled movable alphabet.
• Editor's Choice Award ( 4.8 stars out of 5 ) "It is an extremely powerful early reading experience." - Children's Technology Review
• "Best literacy app in my opinion" - Sue, National Board Certified Teacher
• New-York Times - "The 3-year-old has learned to spell words through an app called Montessori Crosswords"
• Featured by Apple in "Apps for Learning to Read" & "Apps for Learning to Write"
• More than 190,000 units sold
• Used in schools to learn phonics and spelling (25,000 units sold to schools)
Montessori Crosswords helps kids learn and understand two fundamental concepts:
• First, the app helps kids understand that words are made up of sounds or phonemes (phonemic awareness). For each word, your kids can touch the empty rectangles where letters must be dragged to complete the word, and hear the sound the corresponding letter produces.
• Secondly, the app helps kids memorize the phonics associated with letters by providing a phonics-enabled alphabet where kids can touch each letter and hear the associated phonic.
Montessori Crosswords allows you to select words according to their difficulty or sound categories:
• Level 1 displays a three-letter word with no difficulty for beginning readers (CVC words)
• Levels 2, 3 & 4 offer more complex words that contains more complex phonics (as long vowels sounds or blends), and also offer the option to automatically create multi-word crosswords in tens of thousands of different combinations
• Alternately, you can choose from 44 sound categories (i.e. choose words that contain a specific sound (for example, long a, “k” sound, and so on).
To create an enjoyable experience, the app also includes sounds, animations, and interactive visual effects that are displayed after a word is completed. Choose capital, lower-case, or cursive letter display for a greater challenge.
Users & Reports (new in v5.0 !)
• Create any number of users
• Check and export activity for each user in the Reports section
Common Core State Standard (CCSS):
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.K.1b Recognize that spoken words are represented in written language by specific sequences of letters.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.K.2 & CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.1.2 Demonstrate understanding of spoken words, syllables, and sounds (phonemes).
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.K.3 Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.
• Wired's GeekDad - "5 Favorite Apps for Elementary School iPads" - "An excellent tool for learning spelling and early literacy (...) It can build from simple to more complex words making it usable by students from prep through to grade 3 or 4"
• commonsensemedia.org (rated 4) - “Montessori Crosswords is a great way for kids to develop literacy in an engaging way that feels like play."
• crazymikesapps.com (rated 4.5)- "This iPhone kids app is one of my favorite reading/writing learning apps. The application is easy to use for both parents and kids and focuses on reading/writing skills in a fun way."
• Teachers' Reviews:
-Sue on Iear.org - "I just have to say I love Montessori Crosswords both as a parent (to 2, 7, and 8 year olds) and K teacher. I like that the app is appropriate for the developmental levels of my students and all three of my kids"
-Cindy - "This is one of my favorite educational apps. I highly recommend it for the children who are learning to read and spell. The kids also love the interactive artwork."
Email questions or suggestions to email@example.com.
What's New in Version 5.0.1
• "ng" & "l" sound updated
• Add parental control when exporting reports via email
• Bug fix: it is now possible to focus on one sound when 'Show R-Controlled Vowels' setting is disabled
Introduced in Version 5.0
• Create any number of users
• Check and export activity for each user in the new Reports section
• Create your word lists based on letter clusters
• Digraphs ('oo','th', etc.) are now displayed as a whole unit
• New section for words with digraphs
• New section for CCVC & CVCC words
• R-Controlled vowels support ('car','horn', etc.)
• New default word lists in the 'Focus on...' section
• Setting to show only letters that are in the word to spell (great for beginners!)
• Setting to force spelling from left to right
• Setting to allow interaction with words after completion (to study a word once it is completed)
• New letter font for 't' and 'l'
• Many other new settings (background audio, interaction time limit,...)
Thanks for your precious feedback to make this app even better !
Please rate the app if you like it - it is important to let other parents and teachers that an app is great :-) You can rate directly from the 'Parents' section.
Hope you enjoy all the new features, and thanks if you take one minute to rate the app !
- USD 2.99
- Category: Education
- Updated: 04 July 2014
- Version: 5.0.1
- Size: 24.4 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: pierre abel
- © L'Escapadou 2011
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.