Herding Cats Through the Gate to Cyberspace
This book is available for download with iBooks on your Mac or iOS device, and with iTunes on your computer. Books can be read with iBooks on your Mac or iOS device.
Virtual collaboration and learning (VCL) technology seems tailor made for large-group interventions. An expanding array of tools appears to hold great potential for organizational change and learning.
To name a few, example tools include:
- Web-based meetings
- Asynchronous discussions
- Data sharing
- Group document editing
- Just-in-time training
- Online surveys
- Keyword searchable document repositories
However, change consultants or organizational development professionals who anticipate a swift, easy introduction of technology may be in for a rude awakening. Without appropriate facilitation, any VCL initiative may flounder along with the intervention it was intended to support.
Table of Contents
Four Types of Cats
- Early Adopters
- Late Adopters
- Middle Adopters
Principles, Applications, Challenges and Proven Solutions
- Principle 1. A successful VCL initiative must have interest and meaning for the group.
- Principle 2. Once a tool is in place, leaders must actively and repeatedly draw attention to its availability, modeling its use and best practices.
- Principle 3. Virtual communications and learning technology must be useful and usable.
- Principle 4. The quality of the VCL experience may be positively influenced when participants are trained in best practices and provided with easy access to answers for frequently asked questions.
- Principle 5. The same design cycle applies to the introduction of virtual learning and communications technology as to any other planning process.
- Principle 6. The introduction of virtual communications and learning technology is a continuing, rather than a one-time, process.
Conclusions and Implications
Resources and Links
About the Authors
- 1,99 €
- Category: Industries & Professions
- Published: 01 June 2011
- Publisher: Claude Whitmyer
- Print Length: 32 Pages
- Language: English