Lightning Web Browser
By John Holdsworth
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Lightning is a minimalist web browser designed with one thing in mind - speed of search. An order of magnitude smaller than other browsers, Lightning loads in less than a second and is ready to use straight away. Enable the "Lightning Lookup" service and search on selected text from any application in an instant by typing command-@.
Based on Webkit (the already fast core of the Safari and Chrome browsers), instead of unloading browsed pages as you navigate, Lightning keeps a buffer of many WebBrowser objects in memory. This allows you to return back to a previously viewed page instantaneously without having to wait for it to reload. This optimisation makes a huge difference to speed of navigation.
URL's (starting with http://) or search items can be selected or entered into the address bar. For search terms, select the site you wish use as a search engine on the popup list at the left hand side.
Other features include:
* History and Bookmarks are HTML pages containing an (optional) snapshot of the page when it was last viewed.
* The Bookmarks page is WSYWIG editable to "arrange" them and can be used as your home page. Use the “Manage/Save Bookmarks" menu item to make your changes permanent.
* Preloads next page off-screen when you hover over a link.
* Page by Page control over Flash content and cookies.
* All the usual trackpad gestures including zoom supported.
* To close a tab or remove a bookmark tap it's icon.
* Full Spelling/Grammar checking available via edit menu.
* As a final boost to initial page load try Google DNS on 18.104.22.168 or 22.214.171.124.
Lightning may not be the most refined browser on the internet but from the look of the reviews it may just be the fastest! Give it a try.
What's New in Version 3.2
Updated for Yosemite.