Across The Plains In The Donner Party presented by Listen & Live Audio
By Appsessions, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The story of the Donner Party is very much the story of James F. Reed's family, not simply because the Reeds were prominent members, but because they left much documentary evidence: diaries, memoirs, correspondence and letters written en route and interviews shortly after the disaster. The adopted daughter of Reed, Virginia Reed Murphy's memoir is a noteworthy recounting of the Donner party disaster and its gruesome end. Her writing is sprightly, informal, and full of human interest. Virginia was only a baby when her mother married James F. Reed, who was appointed her legal guardian. Although he did not formally adopt her, Virginia went by his surname. There was a strong bond between them and Reed did not treat her any differently than he did his natural children. Virginia was a noted equestrian who won prizes for horsemanship in her later years. Virginia wrote letters to her cousin on July 12, 1846 and May 16, 1847. These two documents, her letters to historian C.F. McGlashan, and her memoir, Across the Plains in the Donner Party, are important contributions to our knowledge of the Donner Party. Her writing is sprightly, informal, and full of human interest. Later in life, she became the first woman on the Pacific Coast to engage in the fire insurance business. She and her husband had nine children, three of whom died young. She died in 1921 at the age of eighty-seven.
This great title is now available in its entirety on the iScroll®, a Text Synchronized Audiobook? (TSA) reader that will completely change the way you experience your favorite book. Choose to read, listen or both. Numerous studies have shown that simultaneous reading and listening dramatically increases focus, concentration and retention, ultimately boosting your learning capacity.
- Enhanced Reading Features:
- Read, listen or do both
- Read in landscape or portrait
- Adjust font, line spacing, font and background color
- Optional two finger zoom to adjust text size
- Bookmark content for future reference
- Look up words
- Nighttime reading feature
Advanced Playback Features:
- Scroll through the text to fast forward and rewined (visual scrubbing)
- Chapter swipe: navigate through chapters with a side swipe
- Adjust playback speed when scrolling without audio: choose from 3 different speeds
Essential Study Features:
- Search the entire audio
- In-app look up: easily lookup content on Google/Wikipedia/dictionary
- Annotate content and email notes
We intend to produce quality products for your reading pleasure. We are constantly updating our software, thus we honor and appreciate any feedback from you to further enhance our products and your reading experience.
- Continue listening to audio while using other apps
- Audio Highlight
- Highlight words on the screen as narrator says them
- Facebook connect
- Copy text and then post it along with the corresponding audio directly to Facebook.
- Twitter Connect
- Copy text and post it along with a link to the audio to twitter
What's New in Version 2.7.2
- Improved Performance
- 5,49 €
- Category: Books
- Updated: 28 June 2011
- Version: 2.7.2
- Size: 25.7 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: Appsessions, LLC
- © 2010 iScroll, 2010 Listen & Live Audio
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.