Maggie, A Girl of the Streets by Stephen Crane
By Standard Works LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Maggie, A Girl of the Streets is an 1893 novel by American author Stephen Crane. Often called a novella because of its short length, it was Crane's first published fictional work. Because the work was considered too risqué by publishers, Crane, who was 21 years-old at the time, had to finance the publication of the novel himself.
The novel takes place in the Bowery, a New York neighborhood in lower Manhattan. The story follows the life of Maggie Johnson as she struggles honestly for survival with no help and eventual opposition from her brother and parents, is left for another by a would-be suitor, endures the persecution of falsehoods from neighbors and former friends. Her downward spiral takes her through progressively worse neighborhoods and situations, into a life of prostitution, and eventually the ending of her own life. In the final chapter, Maggie’s brother tells his mother that Maggie is dead. The mother exclaims, ironically, as the neighbors comfort her, "I'll forgive her!"
This eBook uses the established Standard Works book reader already enjoyed by tens of thousands of users. It's also the same reader which powers our "U.S. Historical Documents" application which received a perfect 10/10 rating from AppCraver.com and was recently featured on the iTunes App Store.
The Standard Works book reader is simple to use, but also contains many advanced features not usually found in other eBook readers. Rather than continually flicking through little pages of text like some book readers, the Standard Works book reader displays an entire chapter or book at once for you convenience. The text can even automatically scroll for you in both portrait and landscape modes while reading. You can even highlight important words or phrases using the absolute best highlighting system available on the iPhone platform. Create notes for each paragraph which can be displayed inline and assign bookmarks to any paragraph in any book for future reference. And if that's not enough, quickly and easily find any text from any book with the fastest and most powerful search engine available on the iPhone.
The Standard Works book reader contains the following main features:
• Auto-scrolling (both variable-speed and tilt-based, portrait and landscape modes are supported)
• Adjustable fonts, size, colors, margins, spacing, and alignment (you can even adjust the font size by using a pinching gesture while reading!)
• Highlighting - 12 background colors, 12 foreground colors, bold, italic, and underline
• Night (low-light) mode - Black background with white text
• Application tips
• Bookmarks and even folders of bookmarks
• Last location in each book is remembered
• When re-launched, you're returned to the exact location you were last at while reading
• Search for words or phrases with INSTANT search results
• Powerful advanced search options
• Create notes for each paragraph which can be displayed inline
• Animated satin bookmark (similar to the one in the Classics application)
• Ability to choose the application's color theme
Be sure to check out our Bible and "U.S. Historical Documents" applications as well as more books from world renowned authors like:
• Charles Dickens
• Edgar Allen Poe
• Hans Christian Andersen
• Jack London
• Jane Austen
• Jules Verne
• H.G. Wells
• Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
- USD 0.99
- Category: Books
- Released: 18 February 2010
- Version: 2.1.0
- Size: 1.8 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: Standard Works LLC
- © 2010 by Standard Works LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 2.2.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.