By Elegant Chaos
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Neu is a simple application that makes it easier to create new documents in the Finder, without you having to open an application first.
It does this by adding "Create Document..." and "Create And Open Document..." menus to various places, including the main menubar, the Dock, and the Services menu that the Finder shows when you right-click on something. You can also trigger Neu from any application using a special key combination.
Neu lets you choose what to make from a list of templates, which are simply existing files. Once you've chosen a template, Neu creates a copy of it, brings the Finder to the front, and selects the new file.
Neu comes with some pre-defined templates, but you can add your own, so you can customise the types of new file available to suit your needs. It can make a blank text file, an empty letter, a shopping list, or anything else that you want. You can have one template, or a hundred - it's up to you.
What's New in Version 1.2
Templates window UI overhauled:
- added some gradients
- now allows switching between list and grid view
- now has a "Open after creation" checkbox on it.
- added contextual menus to template items
- added description column to the list view
- can now drag templates out of the window onto the Finder to create documents
- can now drag documents into the window from the Finder to add templates
- the same window is used for viewing the template list and for making new documents, but the window now has a different set of buttons in each case, to make the context clearer.
- grid items now have tooltips with full name of the template.
Templates list automatically rebuilt when it is changed in the Finder.
When sandboxing is enabled, "Save" dialog will have to be shown in certain situations - changed preference to "Hide when possible" to reflect this.
Reorganised the preferences:
- advanced options moved to their own panel
- added "Keep Window Centered" option.
- removed the Templates preferences panel; we now use a modified version of the normal templates window to organise the templates
Small status menu icon is now see through like other icons.
If there's only one template, we simplify the menus, and we don't bother showing the "choose template" dialog.
Added userName and userFullName to substitution variables. Added some more text filters to convert MixedCaps text - useful for coding templates.
Added an example template for an objective-c header file.
Added Reveal All Templates menu command, which will show all the Templates folders in the Finder (including one in /Library if it exists).
Neu now property takes note of the post-process flag for each template (which can be set using the Edit Template... context menu in the templates list).
Re-written the user guide to reflect the 1.2 UI and features.