By Geoff Martindale
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
NumberKanji is a quick-reference guide to the kanji for numbers, time and date, and counters for various objects such as animals, books, flat things etc. The app highlights the different readings for irregular counters and other expressions.
For example, the counter for cups or glasses is "hai", but this can be read as "bai" or "pai" depending on the quantity.
1 glass : "ippai"
2 glasses : "ni-hai"
3 glasses : "san-bai"
Number Kanji lists the readings (in romaji and hiragana) for quantities 1 to 10 of each counter.
- 6 categories
- numbers, time & date, travel
- counters for animals, studying & shopping
- quiz on each category
- example phrases (Japanese, romaji, English)*
- Kodansha Kanji Learner's entry number**
- no internet connection required
- now a Top 100 app in the Australian iTunes (Education) store
- numbers 1 to 1 billion
- days, months, days of month, years old, years
- hours, minutes, seconds, times, relative time
- birds/rabbits, small animals, large animals
- chapters, books, letters, articles, grades
- flat things, cylindrical things, round things
- cups/glasses, pairs of shoes, suits/dresses
- vehicles/machines, floors, houses, people
- boxes, slices, stocks, kanji strokes, tatami mats
The Relative Time section (under Time & Date) includes
- yesterday, today, tomorrow, weekday, weekend
- morning, afternoon, evening, am, pm
- last year, last month, last week
- this year, this month, this week
- next year, next month, next week
The kanji quiz can be taken in English or hiragana. So if getting a BANZAI score (100%) seems too easy, just tap the wide button at the bottom of the screen to change the question style.
* These have been verified by native Japanese speakers. If there are still mistakes or typos please let me know via the contact form on my website. Comments and suggestions are also welcome.
** The number at the top of the screen. For example, the entry number for people is 2111. I do not have any affiliation with Kodansha but this dictionary has stroke order diagrams and Unicode values, which is great for app developers!
- USD 0.99
- Category: Education
- Released: 18 February 2010
- Version: 1.4
- Size: 0.2 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: Geoff Martindale
- © Geoff Martindale
Compatibility: Requires iOS 2.2.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.