Origins and Endings: Scientific American
By Nature Publishing Group
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Welcome to "Origins and Endings," a special edition of Scientific American. For our debut on the iPad we curated some of our favorite articles from two single-topic issues, "Origins" and "The End," and added interactive informational graphics that show how things work as well as slide shows, audio interviews with scientists and video supplements.
The app tells a compelling story: from the origins of the universe, of life on Earth and our early human ancestors through to what happens to our bodies after we die, the odds of an apocalypse, and the end of time. Our interactive feature "How Much Is Left?" demonstrates how long it will take before some of Earth's most crucial resources are depleted, whereas "The Future of Biotech and Agritech" offers smart suggestions for alternatives. Finally, in the app's Innovations section we explain how computing began long before the transistor and how that technology evolved into technologies today, including your iPad. We explain the origins of many everyday items and phenomena found in the kitchen, office and the fields of entertainment, transportation and medicine.
Download now for:
* 8 Feature articles from Scientific American enhanced with interactive informational graphics and multimedia supplements
* 2 Interactive features--"How Much Is Left" and "Laying Odds on the Apocalypse"
* 21 Audio supplements comprising interviews with authors as well as additional related content
* 11 Videos, including an introduction from Scientific American Editor in Chief Mariette DiChristina
* 9 "What Comes Next" stories from Scientific American's scientist Board of Advisers
* 65+ "Origins" stories, including the beginnings of light, chocolate, sex, money and much more
- USD 3.99
- Category: News
- Released: 22 December 2010
- Version: 1.0
- Size: 403 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: Nature America Inc
- © 2010 Scientific American, a Division of Nature America, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.2 or later. Compatible with iPad.