Download the most essential and comprehensive dictionary app for dependable definitions at your fingertips.
Dictionary.com is the leading free English dictionary app for iPad– with over 2,000,000 trusted definitions and synonyms. The app is designed and optimized for your device.
Easily search definitions and synonyms offline. You can access the offline dictionary anytime and anywhere - you do not need an internet connection. Voice search and audio pronunciation requires connection.
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this app includes:
- Word of the Day – learn a new word each day and expand your vocabulary
- Audio pronunciations – never mispronounce another word
- Voice Searches – conveniently speak to search a word without having to spell it
- Content Collections Carousel includes Word Trends, Grammar Tips, , Slideshows, and Word of the Day
- Quiz widget - test your vocabulary skills (are you prepping for the SAT?) with our Word of the Day quizzes
- Word origin and history - discover etymology on even the strangest words
- Favorite words and search history - customize your recently searched word list and never forget the newest words you’ve learned
- English Spelling help - not sure how a word is spelled? This app will find it for you
- Local look-ups - take a look at the words searched by location
- Learner’s Dictionary - includes extra information about word usage for English learners
Get even more from your app with our Upgrades:
- Remove ads
- Example Sentences
- Idioms and Phrases
- Medical, Science, Rhyming Dictionaries
Embarrassed. Adjective. Us when we realized the medical and science dictionary went AWOL. We're very sorry, and don't worry: We brought it back.
(Hear ye, hear ye: If you want to hear your audio pronunciations, don't forget to crank up your phone volume!)
Ratings and Reviews
A useful app, only thing I don’t like is that it comes up with suggestions that aren’t in this dictionary. Otherwise very useful.
It was ok
It was a good get but wish there were more options
An added feature could make it great
A useful app, easy to use. And I really like the word of the day that pops up when you first open your iPad. One major complaint however. When Word of the Day comes up there is no definition. If you click on the word, rather than taking you to the definition it takes you to the app, generally to your last accessed page. If you then click in Daily, you get not that word but the next day's word. So you need to do a search to get the definition.
I really like this Word of the Day feature but it needs to be much more user friendly. Simply have it go to the definition of that word when clicked on! Otherwise it's a useful app and I recommend it.
- Dictionary.com, LLC
- 199.3 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Dictionary.com, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Example Sentences Upgrade $4.99
- Ad-Free Upgrade $4.99
- Encyclopedia upgrade $4.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.