Math Slide: tens & ones
By Math Adventures
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Math Slide is a multiplayer game helping children understand tens and ones; numbers up to 100. Players learn by sliding tiles into the center to match an answer, equation or image. The player who slides their tiles first wins.
Understanding tens and ones is a key math concept critical in a child’s development. Progressing from counting to using number facts and place value is difficult for many children. This app is specifically designed to help children make this critical progression, helping them ‘see’ and understand that 21 is 2 tens and 1 one and that one more than 79 is 8 groups of ten.
• Multiplayer game, suitable for one, two, three or four players
• 10 games all focused on the same key math concept
• All games can be played twice for free
• Each game is a little harder than the previous game
• Game 1 and Game 9 can be used to work out if the app is at the right level of difficulty
• The app focuses on a critical math concept vital for success
To work out if this app is at the right level of challenge try Game 1 and Game 9. If Game 1 is too hard or Game 9 is too easy this app is not at the right level.
The free version of this app allows each game to be played twice before a decision needs to be made to purchase an upgrade to unlock all of the games for unlimited play. Games 1 and Game 9 can be played unlimited times for free.
How to Play
1. Select a game to play
2. Players join the game by clicking on ‘Join’
3. Click ‘Start Game’, wait for the count down, and play
4. Slide a tile into the center to match, first tile into the center wins
5. The first player to use all their tiles wins the game
Math focus of each game
Game 1 – representing numbers up to 10
Game 2 – ‘ten and ...’ numbers: 10+1, 10+2, 10+3, ...
Game 3 – representing numbers up to 20
Game 4 – ‘ten and ...’ numbers: 10+1, 2+10, 10+3, ...
Game 5 – words: ten and four, sixteen, ten + 7, ...
Game 6 – representing numbers up to 100
Game 7 – tens & ones: 10+2, 30+4, 50+6, ...
Game 8 – tens & ones: 6+70, 82+?=92, 67-10, ...
Game 9 – ten more, ten less: 37-10, 62+10, ...
Game 10 – ten more, ten less, one more, one less
Math Adventures is a New Zealand company helping children learn mathematics. We develop apps that focus on the key concepts that need to be fully understood to progress and succeed in mathematics. Our apps range from learning to count up to understanding and using fractions and decimals, with each app focusing on one key concept.
• Everyone can learn mathematics
• Playing educationally rich games and apps improves understanding
• Learning math should be fun and exciting, a rewarding adventure
Our growing variety of apps is research based and classroom tested to make sure they help children learn.
Math Slide is part of our ‘play and learn’ series, which are games high in educational value where children learn as they play. We are also currently developing ‘learning’ apps which use the power of the iPad to help children understand and learn key math concepts and to unravel misunderstandings.
What's New in Version 1.1
* You can now play on the iPhone or iPod Touch too. Great for practicing by yourself or two player matches.
* Added a timer to single-player games. Try to beat your best time.
* Various other minor bug fixes and improvements.
Love this app! Perfectly aligned with the NZ curriculum and fits numeracy stages 1 - 5 at least, but great maintenence for those at higher stages! Recommend this to all NZ teachers,
- Category: Education
- Updated: 19 March 2013
- Version: 1.1
- Size: 15.3 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Maths Adventures Limited
- ©2012 Maths Adventures Ltd
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.