RNZ (Radio New Zealand) is New Zealand’s 100% ad-free, multimedia public broadcaster. Follow the latest breaking news, listen live to your favourite RNZ radio stations, programmes and podcasts and enjoy video or audio on demand - anytime, anywhere with the new RNZ app for iPhone.
The all-new app is clear and simple to use, with bookmarking, favourites, sharing and options to personalise your experience – including a great new play queue and player.
New features and highlights:
• Get breaking news alerts, video and live coverage on a homepage news feed
• Listen live to all RNZ’s radio stations – National, Pacific and Concert - plus the latest RNZ news bulletins, live blogs and live-streamed video
• All-new build eliminates crashes and bugs and ensures audio play reliability
• Live streaming sounds better than ever
• New design is clear and simple to use
• Easily discover all RNZ’s great programmes, podcasts and series, in their entirety
• Add whole programmes, podcasts or individual audio items to your play queue for listening later or downloading for offline use
• Favourite or bookmark to ‘My RNZ’ and easily find and listen to the latest content from all your favourite radio programmes
• Listen offline without internet access
The app was designed and developed in partnership with Alphero.
If you have any feedback, a feature request, or wish to report an issue, we'd love to hear from you. Contact us at email@example.com.
- We fixed a bug that broke downloading audio for offline listening
- Avid users of MyRNZ on iOS 9 now get much better performance when they have large playlists.
Ratings and Reviews
RNZ is an excellent source of NZ and Pacific news, and it’s great to have it all present in one app.
Just a few frustrations: The ‘RNZ Player’ screen conceals the iOS status bar, so when the audio stream cuts out it’s not obvious if it was a signal strength issue or something else. It also hides the clock in the status bar. There are no space constraints so I just don’t understand this user-hostile design decision. Also, the app is not optimised for iPad; and the play/stop button icons are so small that from across the room you can’t tell the player status (again, frustrating for troubleshooting when the stream cuts out).
Kia ora, thanks so much for this feedback. I've passed it along to our developers for their consideration as we keep making design and feature improvements to the app.
Content great, format ok
A well-written source for actual NZ news that’s not full of rubbish articles and mangled English. One improvement I’d love to see is an iPad-optimized version. My other very minor gripe is that when returning from an article to the main page, there’s an annoying pause and flicker as the page refreshes. It doesn’t happen in the ‘Top News’ section but does in other sections.
This new version is a downgrade compared with the previous one. The greater use of graphics means that more scrolling and tapping is required to find details of and/or download an item. The playlist interface is not very clean with a confusing array of up, down and side arrows to get around it. Worst of all it is sometimes impossible to listen offline to downloaded material as the app displays an error message. I wish the previous version were still available.
Kia ora, sorry to hear you've had trouble with the app. The error with downloaded audio is a problem our developers are working to fix - we hope to have it sorted in an upcoming update. I've made a note of your feedback about the design of the player. With our ongoing developments I hope your experience of the app only improves over time.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.