By Peter Borg Apps AB
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
(If you are using OS X Lion 10.7 you can buy the updated Smultron 4 instead, if you are using OS X Mountain Lion 10.8 you can get Smultron 5 instead and if you are using OS X 10.9 Mavericks you can get Smultron 6 instead.)
With Smultron you can easily write and edit text. It is a text editor for the rest of us which is both easy to use, elegant and very powerful.
• Do you ever quickly want to just write down some text without worrying about formatting?
• Do you ever want to quickly look at text in many different documents?
• Do you ever want to edit or create a web page?
• Do you ever need to write or change a script?
• Do you ever quickly want to write down a to do list?
• Do you ever want to find and change portions of your text in multiple documents?
Smultron can do all this for you and much, much more
• Smultron does not complicate your experience and you can directly start to write or edit text
• It colors the content in different colors depending on what your text does
• You have all your open documents easily accessible in a list to your left with icons which shows the content
• For the more advanced users Smultron is a fully featured text editor
• It can find all those system files that are normally hidden and it has authenticated open and saves for them
• Smultron can also use regular expressions
• You can run commands and scripts and insert the result
• You can also have snippets of code readily available when you need it
• There is also full support for all text encodings and you can also preview HTML-documents directly
• It can also show line numbers and split the window so that you can see two different parts of a document at once
What's New in Version 3.8.4
• Is generally slightly faster
• Uses slighty less memory
• Fixed an issue with the default preview font size
• Added setting for default preview font size
• Improved Prolog syntax definition (thanks to Nico Rotstein)
• Some other small changes
Great editor, but not yet a TextMate replacement (at least for me)
Since TextMate development has slowed to a glacial pace almost indistinguishable from abandonment, I've been looking for an alternative. I remember Smultron fondly from the days before TextMate, so I thought I'd take another look.
It's good, but... it lacks a key feature that keeps me coming back to TextMate: the ability to show a whole folder hierachy in the sidebar and open whichever files I need. Since I work mainly in Drupal and Ruby on Rails, which are all folders and text files, I've become rather dependent on this feature. Smultron instead has a flat list of files in the sidebar and only shows files I've already opened.
If that doesn't sound like something you need, Smultron is a very capable text editor in many other respects, at a very reasonable price. It's not the editor I need right now, but it's good to see it still in development, and I'll be checking in occasionally to see if my pet feature has been added.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: 01 June 2011
- Version: 3.8.4
- Size: 2.4 MB
- Languages: English, Swedish
- Seller: Peter Borg Apps AB
- © 2004-2011 Peter Borg
Compatibility: OS X 10.6 or later