Experience the best of The Straits Times award-winning content with the latest changes to ST app. The app is free to download, and all users can read non-Premium stories in their entirety.
Here are some other features of the ST app you might like:
- Create your own homepage so you can read what matters to you first
- Subscribe to get full access to Premium content, such as exclusives, features and analyses from our best writers and veteran journalists
- Receive push alerts on topics of your choice
- Listen to news
- Save articles to read later
- Preload The Straits Times ePaper on Wi-Fi to read offline (only applicable to All-Digital, All-Digital + Print subscribers and subscriptions via iTunes)
Your subscription options:
• 7-day subscription for US$5.99
• 1-month subscription for US$22.49
• Readers can choose to subscribe for 7 days or for 1 month
• Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
• Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period
• Account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal
• Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user’s Account Settings after purchase
• No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period
• Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication.
- Enhanced UX for multimedia contents in the articles
- Handling notifications for non-subscribers
Ratings and Reviews
Puzzling ads placement tactic
April 2018 review:
In this update ST introduces ads embedded between actual content, so the intrusiveness is notched up a level higher, well done👌. But what’s worse is that in articles that have ads in between, I can no longer select or highlight text, preventing me from copying or performing “Look up”, which is a function I use often. Not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but kudos to the developer and QC team 👍.
Dec 2017 review:
As echoed by other reviewers, I too abhor the intrusive ads that paid subscribers have to endure. Each time we return to the app (from basic tasks such as home screen, multi tasking, answering a phone call or msg, unlocking the phone, etc.) we're immediately bombarded with a full page ad. Worse, there's a conspicuous ad banner at the bottom in perpetual presence which could not be dismissed, limiting screen real estate. SPH's greediness is taking away paid subscribers' reading pleasure.
I’d propose a no-star if it existed. Subscribed to the ST premium and then decided to read the reviews of other subscribers, which immediately prompted me to reconsider my subscription. Then, silly me, I decided I’ll give it a chance, why not?
And I wasn’t disappointed as it got so much better when I discovered that I couldn’t even read the so-called Premium articles without the relentless invitation to subscribe (again, and again). So, that’s it then - changed my subscription to just a month. Apologies to the ST reporters - would have loved to support your work (via digital means though, as one has to think of trees) but how unfortunate that this app was built to siphon money and cough out ads.
Buggy Apple Watch App
This application doesn’t work on Apple Watch at all . You’ll always get a screen that says : no news content items to display , please try again later . When it works , it’s okay , but when it doesn’t , which is most of the time , it’s simply trash .
“ Customer “ support is simply non-existent . Tried contacting them everywhere and still hear no response from them at all . Simply don’t understand , all other news app works fine on Apple Watch EXCEPT for Straits Times . This is some baffling problem ... Please fix this ASAP !!
- Singapore Press Holdings
- 81.5 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- English, Dutch
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Singapore Press Holdings
- In-App Purchases
- ST Renewable Subscription S$ 7.98
- ST Renewable Subscription S$ 29.98
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.