Use Bookshelf to download and access VitalSource textbooks on your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch. Read your books online or offline and create notes and highlights to help you study.
• Download books to your iOS device for easy online or offline reading.
• Simple, user-friendly navigation and a clean reading experience.
• Search inside your book for a term or phrase.
• Select text to create notes or highlights from your mobile device.
• Review flashcards to quiz yourself on key concepts.
• Tap to open figures, view captions, and pinch to zoom.
• Use text-to-speech to listen to your textbooks read aloud.
• Sync your bookmarks, current reading position, and all of your notes and highlights between your iOS device, desktop, and online Bookshelf apps.
• VitalSource Bookshelf account
• Access to one or more VitalSource textbooks.
• iOS 10+
• New! Review flashcards on your device for focused study on the go.
• Fixes an issue with sideloading DRM free EPUB files.
• Other miscellaneous bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Add Apple Pencil support
It would be great if the app can support Apple Pencil, so that highlighting and writing notes on the ePub will be A LOT easier. Right now it’s very hard to highlight and note taking is extremely inconvenient
Avoid it if you can
One of the textbooks I use to teach forces me to use this app. Other publishers simply provide a .pdf version. Which makes reading on the iPad a breeze for me
Here are some issues for this app:
- jerky when scrolling up or down (am using 3rd gen ipad). Painful to the eyes.
- can only choose one chapter to read at a time. As a lecturer, we need to cross reference various chapters quickly.
- search tool is next to useless for my needs.
- since installing this app, ipad has crashed about 5-7 times. Needing hard reset.
- the app itself likes to close itself too.
- does not allow one to convert pages to pdf. Tried using the desktop version to print to pdf, the app stops that.
- jerky, jerky, jerky.... Oh, wait, I said that already.
Overall, makes reading a textbook a real pain. If I was not forced to use this, would really really uninstall.
To the folks who design this, do you really use the app daily to read and do research in a real-world situation? A bloody annoying app to use. To the publishers who want to use this app, stay away please. Students hate it too. It will affect your eBook sales.
You have been warned.
Decent app but needs serious improvements
This is a reading app with decent organisation and comprehensive tools.
But there is 1 major flaw that destroys user experience: when scrolling down a long page using iPad, the app freezes too often, really, too often (developers please try this for yourself).
1 suggestion for improvement is to add a review mode in which I can use my finger to highlight text as if it is a pen; hold and drag to highlight is too cumbersome in my opinion.
Don't fault me for the 2-star since the scrolling-freeze bug has been such a pain. Moreover I have put the good words at the beginning to sweeten things up. ;)
- Vital Source Technologies, Inc.
- 165.7 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Filipino, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese, Welsh
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2017 VitalSource Technologies Inc.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.