The First Crusade 1096-99
By Exact Editions Ltd
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
In 1095 the Byzantine Emperor Alexios I appealed to the Christian states of western Europe for help against the Turks who had swept across the Empire after the disastrous Byzantine defeat at Manzikert in 1071.
This book is about the First Crusade that followed, and saw several armies of ‘armed pilgrims’ march across Europe to the Holy Land. They were unleashed on a divided and fragmented Islamic world and won a series of apparently miraculous victories, capturing the Holy City of Jerusalem itself.
The success of the First Crusade was never to be repeated, however, and triggered two centuries of bitter warfare, the repercussions of which are still felt today.
Featuring many annotated maps and illustrations, this book provides a details the command strategies, tactics and battle experiences of the opposing forces throughout the crucial stages of the campaign.
The free iPhone edition brings you selected preview pages - these are highlighted as you flip through the book. Within the application you can purchase full access to the complete book.
• Pinch or double-tap pages to zoom.
• Swipe or tap the page edges to flip to next/previous page.
• Use the animated thumbnail view to flick through the pages.
• Search the entire book.
• Tap any page links to web sites, email addresses, phone numbers or maps.
• Tap contents-page links to jump to a particular chapter.
• Sync the book to your device for offline reading (requires wi-fi).
• Network connection required otherwise.
We recommend first running the app within a wi-fi area so it can sync the pages to your phone - after that you can use it anywhere.
What's New in Version 4.2
Fixed toolbar visibility handling.
- Category: Books
- Updated: 12 October 2011
- Version: 4.2
- Size: 1.1 MB
- Languages: English, French
- Developer: Exact Editions Ltd
- © Copyright 2011 Exact Editions Ltd.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Paid Access5,99 €