SkySafari 3 Plus
By Simulation Curriculum Corp.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Want the latest SkySafari Plus for iOS 7? Then search for SkySafari 4 Plus on the app store! This is SkySafari 3 Plus, and it will not be updated. It's only here for folks who want to stay on iOS 6. If you want SkySafari Plus, and you have iOS 7, DON'T BUY THIS APP! Instead, get SkySafari 4 Plus!
Spaceflight has never been so easy! With SkySafari 3 Plus, you can follow spectacular events like eclipses and transits in Earth's sky - or from anywhere else in the Solar System!
As just reviewed in The Mac Observer, SkySafari 3 is "the best of all the star chart apps for iOS":
Sky & Telescope magazine says SkySafari 3 is "revolutionary" and a "game-changer":
SkySafari 3 comes in three versions. SkySafari 3 Plus adds a hugely expanded database, wired or wireless telescope control - and the ability to fly into orbit around other objects in our Solar System - to our basic version.
Please note: there is no discount upgrade path from this version of SkySafari to SkySafari Pro.
SkySafari 3 Plus shows you 2.5 million stars, and 31,000 deep sky objects - including the entire NGC/IC catalog. It shows the Solar System's major planets and moons using NASA spacecraft imagery, and includes over 4,000 asteroids, comets, and satellites with updateable orbits. It can point your GoTo or "Push-To" telescope anywhere in the sky, using your iPhone/iPad/iPod's built-in WiFi, and our SkyFi or SkyWire serial accessories.
SkySafari 3 accurately shows you the sky from any place on Earth, at any time up to one million years in the past or future. It includes 1100 encyclopedic descriptions of the constellations, stars, and planets written by professional astronomers. And it contains over 800 images from NASA space missions, the Hubble Space Telescope, and the world's foremost astro-photographers.
If you have an iPhone/iPad with a compass, or an iPod Touch with a gyroscope, SkySafari Plus can help you identify stars and planets by holding your phone next to them. Tap the Compass/Gyro button (or shake your phone) to activate the compass - now, as you move the phone around, the sky chart follows your motion. Search for any object in the sky, and follow the arrow on screen to find it!
SkySafari has a "Night" button to preserve your dark adaptation as you're exploring the night sky. The Time Flow feature lets you animate the night sky using simple VCR controls - follow the motion of the stars and planets as SkySafari compresses days, months, and years into a few seconds.
SkySafari 3 includes SkyWeek - the mobile version of Sky & Telescope Magazine's super-popular "Sky at a Glance" column. SkyWeek features interactive sky charts for each day of the week, and links to more articles on S&T's website. SkyWeek shows you all major sky events: eclipses, conjunctions, good meteor showers — miss nothing!
SkySafari's streamlined user interface puts the universe at your fingertips - and turns your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch into a 21st-century telescope controller. SkySafari is your celestial travel guide!
What's New in Version 3.8.5
1) Fixes problem with predicting the position of comet ISON after perihelion (and other objects which pass very close to the Sun).
2) Locations in Arizona, USA now never observe daylight savings time.
3) Restored labels under the toolbar icons in the SkyWeek screen.
4) Fixed cosmetic problems on iOS 7: center coordinates and field of view labels now update quickly while panning/zooming; the blinking selection marker doesn't get left in its old location when panning the chart.
5) Fixed centering bug when starting time flow from orbit around a solar system object.
6) Ecliptic and Galactic longitude are now parsed correctly when entered in the Coordinates settings screen.
7) Fixed problem where the “Add to Observing List” and the “Make Observing List” buttons were sometimes white in night vision.
8) Changed the default setting for "Send Time & Location" under (Scope Setup) to OFF
9) Fixed problem where the screen showing an observing list wouldn’t get a Done button in some cases on iOS 7.
10) Fixed failure to apply alignment offset to GoTo commands for ServoCAT telescopes.
- Category: Education
- Updated: 18 November 2013
- Version: 3.8.5
- Size: 232 MB
- Languages: English, French, Spanish
- Developer: Simulation Curriculum Corp.
- © 2009-2014 Simulation Curriculum Corp. All Rights Reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.