By Farlex, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The only Dictionary and Thesaurus app with every word you search for—1.3 million definitions from the most trusted sources, including:
* Webster's Dictionary
* Roget's Thesaurus
* The American Heritage Dictionary
Plus more than 100 dictionaries and encyclopedias from these top publishers:
* Houghton Mifflin
* Random House
* Cambridge University Press
* Columbia University Press
* and more!
Bonus content, available now for free:
* Offline dictionary
* Medical, Legal, Idioms, and other specialty dictionaries
* Dictionaries in Spanish, French, and 12 other languages
* Translations of English into 40+ languages
Rated #1 app in the App Store in the free reference category in 99 countries in 2011–2015. (Source: https://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/app/379450383/app-ranking/#device=ipad&type=best-ranks)
The Free Dictionary app has been downloaded tens of millions times across multiple platforms, with top ratings after hundreds of thousands of reviews—read a few to see why our users prefer The Free Dictionary over all other dictionary apps.
Users' top-rated features:
* Learn something new every day with Word of the Day and other daily articles.
* Search 80+ English dictionaries from industry-leading publishers for both common and rare words, featuring extensive definitions, example sentences, etymologies, illustrations, and more.
* Browse multiple Thesaurus sources, featuring synonyms, antonyms, related words, and images.
* Check your spelling, improve your vocabulary, and learn common misspellings.
* Listen to 280,000+ audio pronunciations, including both American and British pronunciations.
* Get free access to 100,000+ entries in the offline English dictionary and thesaurus. Just switch to offline mode via the app menu to download offline content.
* Save unlimited bookmarks and sync them to all your devices.
* Use native voice search to look up a word just by saying it. (With supported devices)
* See search suggestions as you type and always find what you're looking for.
* Play word games, including Spelling Bee, Match Up, and Words Within Words, plus Hangman in a dozen different languages.
* Track your learning and earn meals for hungry children through The Free Dictionary's partnership with the World Food Program—just by looking up words and playing word games!
* Advanced Search options, including "Starts with," "Ends with," and "In definition."
* Multiple encyclopedias, including Columbia, Collins, even Wikipedia.
* Specialty dictionaries, including Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Science, Computing, Acronyms and Abbreviations, and more.
* Online dictionaries in 13 other languages: Spanish, French, German, Italian, Chinese, Portuguese, Russian, Dutch, Greek, Arabic, Polish, Norwegian, and Turkish.
* Translate English words into more than 40 languages, plus dozens of other translation options.
* Standard and IPA pronunciation keys.
* Jump to Definition, Thesaurus, or Translations with one button.
* Look up the definition of any word on the page with the highlight feature.
* Search for words on the page.
* Customize your homepage: add or remove articles, games, even horoscope and local weather in Fahrenheit or Celsius.
* Navigate the app in more than a dozen languages with the multilingual interface.
* Share your favorite words via social networks, email, and text.
* This is not a trial version—you get everything free and forever. Additional offline dictionaries in other languages are available in the Pro version.
* For app developers: The Free Dictionary app can be accessed by other apps with API calls (Contact Farlex for instructions).
How do we do it?
Farlex is a leader in dictionary apps. We work with the best publishers to bring together trusted content in the most comprehensive, authoritative dictionary apps on the market. Find our other apps by searching "Dictionary by Farlex" in the App Store.
What's New in Version 5.2
* Bug fixes.
* If you like The Free Dictionary app, please rate it 5 stars in the App Store! We read every single review we receive, but unfortunately the App Store does not give us the ability to respond. If you have any problems or questions, please use the "Feedback" option in the settings menu to email support[at]tfd.com. You'll be amazed how quickly we reply!
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: 15 December 2015
- Version: 5.2
- Size: 15.8 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Turkish
- Developer: Farlex, Inc.
- © 2015 Farlex, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.