By NOAA Science On a Sphere
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
SOS Remote is a universal app for the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad that is used to control a Science On a Sphere® (SOS) system.
SOS is a room sized, global display system that uses computers and video projectors to display planetary data onto a six-foot diameter sphere, analogous to an animated globe. SOS is used as an educational tool to help illustrate Earth System science to people of all ages in a way that is intuitive and captivating.
The SOS Remote app affords greater interaction capabilities and ease of use compared to previous SOS controllers such as the Wii Remote. With this app, you can:
• Adjust the orientation of the sphere in an intuitive way
• Control playback of datasets
• Load any presentation playlist stored on the SOS computer
• Quickly search and browse the entire SOS Data Catalog and select datasets at random to load on the sphere
• View a dataset's description and presenter notes while giving an SOS presentation
• Quickly create a presentation playlist directly from the iPad
• Draw on and zoom into a dataset loaded on the sphere
• Dynamically turn on/off dataset layers and adjust their transparency
• Split the sphere into 2-4 vertical slices to replicate a portion of the dataset around the sphere
• Perform full alignment of the sphere using an intuitive three step process
* Note: The iPhone/iPod Touch support only a subset of the features described above. The iPad supports all features.
• In order to functionally use the SOS Remote app, you must have a Science On a Sphere® (SOS) installation
• Wi-Fi or Bluetooth access to the SOS computer that is being controlled
• SOS Software Version 5.1.0
What's New in Version 5.1.1
A bug fix for when the Layers button of a selected Data Catalog dataset would disappear and the dataset would no longer be highlighted when navigating between tabs or modes.