By NOAA Science On a Sphere
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
SOS Remote is a universal app for the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad that is used to control a Science On a Sphere® (SOS) system.
SOS is a room sized, global display system that uses computers and video projectors to display planetary data onto a six-foot diameter sphere, analogous to an animated globe. SOS is used as an educational tool to help illustrate Earth System science to people of all ages in a way that is intuitive and captivating.
The SOS Remote app affords greater interaction capabilities and ease of use compared to previous SOS controllers such as the Wii Remote. With this app, you can:
• Adjust orientation of the sphere in an intuitive way
• Control playback of datasets
• View the current playlist and select datasets to load at random
• View all library categories and load any dataset contained in the full SOS data catalog
• Load any playlist stored on the SOS computer
• Browse the dataset descriptions in the SOS data catalog via a web interface
• Perform full alignment of the sphere using an intuitive three step process
• In order to functionally use the SOS Remote app, you must have a Science On a Sphere (SOS)® installation
• Wi-Fi access to the SOS computer that is being controlled
• Basic Use: SOS Software Version 3.4.2
• Full Feature Set: SOS Software Version 4.0
4.0 Major Features:
• Annotation: Draw onto the sphere in real-time to highlight areas of interest during a presentation. Drop icons onto the sphere to provide additional visual cues.
• Zoom: Zoom into a region on the sphere to get close up views of data.
• Layering: SOS Version 4.0 introduces multiple geographic layers in a single SOS clip. Individual layers can be toggled on and off, and the level of transparency of each layer adjusted. In addition, one or more datasets can be interactively overlaid and blended over another dataset.
What's New in Version 4.0.3
• Added a "Send Link" button to the Web Page tab so that presenters can easily email the SOS Data Catalog URL of the currently playing dataset to an audience member when requested.
• When Auto Run is turned on from the Settings tab, an Auto Run message box now pops up that reminds the user they are running an automatic SOS presentation, and prevents the user from accessing any other controls in the app until the box's "Stop" button is selected.
• Instead of connecting to SOS manually via an ON/OFF switch, the app now connects to SOS automatically. If it is unable to connect immediately, the app retries every few seconds. Helpful diagnostics regarding connection errors (such as an unrecognized host name, or not connected to Wi-Fi) are provided for quicker troubleshooting.
- Category: Education
- Updated: 03 May 2013
- Version: 4.0.3
- Size: 2.4 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: NOAA Science On a Sphere
- © 2011 Science On a Sphere
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.