Open iTunes to preview, buy, and download music.
||Kaleidoscope Heart||Sara Bareilles||1:01||$1.29||View in iTunes|
||Uncharted||Sara Bareilles||3:34||$1.29||View in iTunes|
||Gonna Get Over You||Sara Bareilles||4:16||$1.29||View in iTunes|
||Hold My Heart||Sara Bareilles||4:32||$1.29||View in iTunes|
||King of Anything||Sara Bareilles||3:27||$1.29||View in iTunes|
||Say You're Sorry||Sara Bareilles||3:41||$1.29||View in iTunes|
||The Light||Sara Bareilles||4:22||$1.29||View in iTunes|
||Basket Case||Sara Bareilles||4:11||$1.29||View in iTunes|
||Let the Rain||Sara Bareilles||3:39||$1.29||View in iTunes|
||Machine Gun||Sara Bareilles||4:08||$1.29||View in iTunes|
||Not Alone||Sara Bareilles||3:42||$1.29||View in iTunes|
||Breathe Again||Sara Bareilles||4:58||$1.29||View in iTunes|
||Bluebird||Sara Bareilles||4:04||$1.29||View in iTunes|
Sara Bareilles builds upon the charismatic wit and wisdom imparted by “Love Song” on the new single, “King of Anything,” a sharp elbow to the ribs of all the know-it-alls she’s met since entering the music business. Bareilles opens up her piano-based pop to include instruments like the hammer dulcimer, the ukulele, and guitar to produce a layered and intimate view inside her heart, circa 2010.
No Sophomore Slump for the brilliant Bareilles
Sara Bareilles' major-label debut, Little Voice, rocked the iTunes charts more than three years ago. "Love Song" was a huge commercial hit, and easily was one of the most recognizable songs of 2008, making Sara a household name. Little Voice was 50 minutes of piano-and-vocal pop perfection. And as flawless as the album was, I'm happy to say that Kaleidoscope Heart isn't just "more of the same."
True, the album has a unique-to-Sara sound throughout its entirety, but this time around, there's far more variation, from the horns in "King of Anything" to the accordion in "Basket Case," from the 5-layered vocal harmonies in "Kaleidoscope Heart" to the pizzicato strings in "Uncharted," there's something solely unique about each track.
Sara's voice is as pitch-perfect as ever, and anyone who's ever seen her live knows that's no feat of computer-aged voice processing like the majority of current pop stars. Sara's voice is what sets her apart from the masses, and although there's no signature high-holding notes like the ones she pulls off in 2007's "Come Round Soon" and "Gravity," there is nevertheless an overwhelming presence of her beautiful and soulful voice in each track.
And while her voice is still undeniable, it's the composer and lyricist in Sara that really shines on Kaleidoscope Heart. The tracks are more complex and the lyrics more thoughtful, and while I find a mere couple of duds ("Say You're Sorry" and "Machine Gun" don't do much for me personally), the rest of the album is just as exceptional as Little Voice.
Personal favorites are the incredibly energetic "Gonna Get Over You" (haven't played it for a single person that hasn't loved it), the somber and heartbreaking "Breathe Again", the funky "Not Alone", and the reflective "Basket Case" (which took some warming up to but is now a favorite). But the whole album is worth repeated listens, and already it's been on repeat more than any album I've ever had - since Little Voice, that is. 5 stars for an always-changing-yet-still-flawless Sara Bareilles.
No Sophomore Slump. The soulful side of bareilles.
1) Kaleidoscope heart - The intro matches the title
2) Uncharted 11/10 - Might be my favorite song on the album. Sara based her album off this song and it is definitely the star of the cd. The chorus is ca7)tchy. No wonder they have already used this song in two tv shows!
3) Gonna Get Over You 10/10 - Intro is very old sounding but I really like it. Should be one of the second singles. Very catchy. One of those f-off songs.
4) Hold My Heart - 11/10 - My other top song. Sounds very serene and slow. Very heartfelt.
5) King of Anything 10/10 - Love song #2 Another f-off song but it is awesome if not better than the overplayed love song. You can probably relate if you have ever been told to do something you don't want to.
6) Say You're Sorry 9/10 - Back to her old style. Sounds very careful confessions but still keeps with the catchy theme.
7) The Light 9/10 - Reminds me of between the lines. Slow but not too slow. Very different sounding than other songs on the cd.
8) Basket Case 8/10 - Where is the piano? Guitar is okay but please no harmonica! Not a bad song though but a bit too slow.
9) Let the Rain 9/10 - Very careful confessions again! A lot of leading into the song but when the chorus comes it is catchy. I like the claps.
10) Machine Gun 10/10 - My favorite phrase: Maybe nobody loved you when you were young. I like her lyrics and humor. A very nice metaphor.
11) Not Alone 7/10 - Reminds me of Morningside two but without the catchiness. Song is a bit one note for me
12) Breathe Again 11/10 - I love this song. Gravity 2.0 This ballad is great and I'm glad her bad night turned into a great song.
13) Bluebird 8/10 - Another ballad! I think she put in a lot of slow songs.
Definitely not a sophomore slump. It is no little voice because it is totally different! They are not comparable. Equivalent in greatness but the type of music is a bit different. Not all catchy, perky songs. Sara gets into the nitty gritty and becomes more deep and soulful. Overall 11/10. I love sara.
i could not help my self
i literally got up and danced for the first 5 songs. then i was too tired.
Born: December 7, 1979 in Eureka, CA
Years Active: '00s, '10s
Top Albums and Songs by Sara Bareilles
Listeners Also Bought
||Breakin' At the Cracks||Breakthrough (Deluxe Version)||Colbie Caillat||5:41||$1.29||View in iTunes|
||Holding on and Letting Go||Holding on and Letting Go - Single||Ross Copperman||5:19||$0.99||View in iTunes|
||Sticky-Sweet||Love, Save the Empty (Bonus Track Version)||Erin McCarley||3:27||$0.99||View in iTunes|
||If It's Love||Save Me, San Francisco (Bonus Track Version)||Train||3:59||$1.29||View in iTunes|
||Black + Blue (Live At Ocean Way Studios)||The Ocean Way Sessions - EP||Christina Perri||2:37||$1.29||View in iTunes|
||Let Go||Lay It Down - EP||Lindsay McCaul||3:51||$0.99||View in iTunes|
||Weightless||Awake & Dreaming||Courtney Jones||3:44||$0.99||View in iTunes|
||Rhythm of Love||Wonders of the Younger||Plain White T's||3:20||$1.29||View in iTunes|
||I'm Through||Human Again||Ingrid Michaelson||3:27||$1.29||View in iTunes|
||Fearless||Breakthrough (Deluxe Version)||Colbie Caillat||5:05||$1.29||View in iTunes|