This Loud Morning (Deluxe Version)
Open iTunes to preview, buy, and download music.
|iTunes LPThis Loud Morning (Deluxe Version) - iTunes LP||--||View In iTunes|
||Circadian||David Cook||4:53||$1.29||View In iTunes|
||Right Here, With You||David Cook||3:18||$1.29||View In iTunes|
||We Believe||David Cook||4:22||$1.29||View In iTunes|
||Fade Into Me||David Cook||4:06||$1.29||View In iTunes|
||Hard to Believe||David Cook||3:52||$1.29||View In iTunes|
||Take Me As I Am||David Cook||4:06||$1.29||View In iTunes|
||Time Marches On||David Cook||3:42||$1.29||View In iTunes|
||The Last Goodbye||David Cook||3:00||$1.29||View In iTunes|
||Paper Heart||David Cook||3:36||$1.29||View In iTunes|
||4 Letter Word||David Cook||3:09||$1.29||View In iTunes|
||Goodbye to the Girl||David Cook||4:18||$1.29||View In iTunes|
||Rapid Eye Movement||David Cook||5:57||$1.29||View In iTunes|
||This Is Not the Last Time||David Cook||3:47||$1.29||View In iTunes|
||Let Me Fall For You||David Cook||3:51||$1.29||View In iTunes|
|15||VideoThe Making of "This Loud Morning"||David Cook||19:37||Album Only||View In iTunes|
This Loud Morning is a curiously appropriate title for a David Cook album. Unlike so many rockers, Cook makes music not for the dead of night but for the crack of dawn, music that greets the day with a modicum of measured inspiration. This is particularly true of this 2011 sophomore set, an album that sands down any lingering rough edges from his 2008 post-American Idol major-label debut. Strangely enough, these rough edges include not only the faster songs that peppered David Cook, but anything resembling a discernable hook. Every cut marches along with a stately purpose and each track is colored with countless guitars, so many that it stands to reason that this album would sound loud, yet it never does. Everything is tempered and deliberate, which isn’t to say it’s insincere: Cook emotes with gusto, never stopping to consider that his singing is lacquered over by all those guitars. So, This Loud Morning winds up as an album that’s primarily textural mood music for the morning, and one that’s not all that loud either.[This deluxe edition includes two bonus tracks as well as a separate DVD, The Making of This Loud Morning.]
In a world of singles, this is an album...
From the opening seconds of "Circadian", it is obvious that "This Loud Morning" is not just another pop/rock album. There are intricacies in the production of this album that take each song to a new level. Standouts include the previously mentioned "Circadian", "We Believe", "Goodbye to the Girl" and "Rapid Eye Movement." And honestly, I wish "Let Me Fall for You" had made the actual album and not just as a bonus track. There is something about that song that really shows a different side of Cook. Throughout the album Cook's vocals soar in a way that not many male singers out there could achieve. The input of Matt Serletic as producer and David's bandmates (Andy Skib, Neal Tiemann, Kyle Peek and Monty Anderson) can't go without praise. I really hope that this album isn't put into that "Idol" pile, because...this is a not just another album from an Idol winner. The artistry and thematic arc is so apparent and...refreshing. I have turned the shuffle feature off on my iPod. You have to listen to this one in order!
He is Back. But he is new.
Finally, David Cook has returned to the music industry with a new album. Beyond that, he was able to do his own thing as he wasn't pushed by a record label to complete an album in a month. Here is my breakdown.
1. Circadian - 8.8/10 ~ The first time I heard this (On Soundcheck) I was blown away. It sounds even better on the album. He promised more pianos in this album (and you will hear them.) and I love the pianos and synthesizers on this track. It opens "The Morning" with a bang, and I think people will like it.
2. Right Here, With You - 9.4/10 ~ This is my favorite track on the record. He co-wrote it with his longtime touring buddy Ryan Star, and they did a fantastic job. The chorus is catchy and if you are like me at all, you will find yourself singing it quite often throughout the day. It has a sweet message, and I love it.
3. We Believe - 8.2/10 ~ Possible the weakest song on the album. If so, this album is near perfection, because this song is nice. David stretches his voice with this fast booming anthem. I like the more open, heart on the table, intimate David more than I do the heavy rock, so it could just be me with this song.
4. Fade Into Me - 8.8/10 ~ "Fade into me, Fade into you, the two of us melting together, until we become something new." I love it. It is so simple yet so nice. This is a soothing song, and I kind of have a feeling it will be a single. I think many people will like this one. It isn't my favorite on the album, but it is very good.
5. Hard To Believe - 9/10 ~ I loved Hodges' original, and David blew it out of the water. Just his vocal ability makes the song so much better. This might be one people won't like as much, but it is a good song.
6. Take Me As I Am - 9.2/10 ~ David previewed this song during the Race for Hope in DC. It had me so excited for this album. David is so open with his fans, and speaks his life through his music. I think this and Time Marches On are probably some of the closest to his heart. They are beautiful, and his vocals on both are amazing.
7. Time Marches On 9.2/10 ~ Same as Take Me As I Am. These two will be forever intertwined for me. I love them so much, and I definitely think this song is about his brother Adam. It has a wonderful message that I think a lot of people can relate to.
8. The Last Goodbye - 8.4/10 ~ The first single. Not quite sure why. This song to me is so much different than all of the others. I love it, but it seems out of place the first few times you listen to the album. If you haven't seen the music video yet, check it out. It is awesome.
9. Paper Heart - 9.2/10 ~ From it's debut at Busch Gardens, I didn't like it much. It grew on me a lot though. It is a more of a rocker, though I think they play it more up tempo live. Could be the next single.
10. 4 Letter Word - 9.4/10 ~ Ok, for most, I think this will be the least favorite. For me, I think it is pure genius. I love just the thought behind "Love is a 4 letter word" more than anything, and I think David did a phenomenal job crafting this song.
11. Goodbye To The Girl - 9.4/10 ~ This is the slow song, and this is the beautiful song. The somber David, pouring his heart and soul into yet another song. I hope this song is a single, and I think it could be. It is sort of haunting, but all together, it truly is beauty. I don't know what else to say.
12. Rapid Eye Movement - 9.3/10 ~ We exit our sleep and end up going right back through the cycle. I love this song to death. It is clever, it is nice, it is catchy, it is the up tempo song for the album (Think Bar-Ba-Sol though it is a little slower than that.) and the ending is beautiful. I love the piano at the end, and the way the album comes around full circle.
The other two I can't comment on yet. I Pre-Ordered the album, and it should arrive in the morning, can't wait to start my morning loud.
Overall: 9.6/10 A+ ~ This album is truly a masterpiece. Everything is crafted and put together intricately, and beautifully. David goes out on a limb and changes what he has done his whole life. He made a challenge for himself to make a better album than he ever has before, and he definitely accomplished it. I hope the media will give him some support, and this album can sell big. He is truly a great artist and it would be a shame if people didn't get to hear him. My other hope, is that this album could be his Last Goodbye to American Idol. I get tired of hearing "The Season 7 American Idol Winner." Mainly because I think he is much more than American Idol. But I know that won't happen. In any case, get the album, and fall in love.
Top 5 List:
1. Right Here With You
3. 4 Letter Word
4. Goodbye To The Girl
5. Time Marches On
I believe those will give you a good taste of everything. Really though, you should just get the album. David set out to record a record, and that is what this is. The songs alone are great, but the album as a whole is outstanding. I really haven't been able to listen to it and think, "I don't really like this song." Instead I find myself saying "I really like this song." On every single one of them. Thank you David Cook. You are my favorite.
I am a DJ here in Utah, I have really enjoyed David & his bands Debut CD, but this disc is just incredible! Everything is just excellent however Let me fall for you may be my favorite yet, I think they should release as a single!! Please buy this CD it is really good!!
Born: December 20, 1982 in Houston, TX
Years Active: '00s, '10s
Top Albums and Songs by David Cook
||The Time of My Life||David Cook||3:36||$1.29||View In iTunes|
||Light On||David Cook||3:48||$1.29||View In iTunes|
||Come Back to Me||David Cook||4:08||$1.29||View In iTunes|
||Light On||Light On - Single||3:49||$1.29||View In iTunes|
||Permanent||David Cook||2:56||$1.29||View In iTunes|
||The Time of My Life||The Time of My Life - Single||3:34||Album Only||View In iTunes|
||Don't You (Forget About Me)||Don't You (Forget About Me) - Single||4:23||$1.29||View In iTunes|
||The Last Goodbye||The Last Goodbye - Single||2:59||$1.29||View In iTunes|
||Declaration||David Cook||3:13||$1.29||View In iTunes|
||Lie||David Cook||3:49||$1.29||View In iTunes|