1000 Places To See Before You Die
By Workman Publishing Company, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
“An enticing and easy-to-navigate travel app.” – USA Today
The most unforgettable travel destinations on earth, from the iconic, bestselling book 1,000 Places to See Before You Die, now packed into a feature-rich travel planning app. What’s on your bucket list?
Hand-selected by veteran travel journalist Patricia Schultz, these unique destinations represent a tour of the world’s wonders, continent by continent—a trek through Morocco’s Atlas Mountains, the Old Course at Saint Andrews, the Mekong River by sail . . . Whether it’s active vacations or complete and utter relaxation you’re looking for, the app is your gateway to the best places in the world, an unparalleled discovery tool plus an interactive bucket list to end all lists. And since, as the most experienced travelers know, the most memorable lookout points, hikes, restaurants, hotels, watering holes, and beaches are often discovered via word-of-mouth, the app includes Facebook integration and user recommendations. Passionate travelers, rejoice!
- Filter by region and by interest—Active Travel, Idyllic Towns, Sacred Places, Vineyards and Breweries, Beaches and Getaway Islands, and much more—to find your dream trip.
- Browse places in Map View, or swipe through a jaw-dropping Photo Wall for an immersive visual experience. Slideshow View turns your iPad into a living, breathing gallery of stunning color photos.
- Tag places you’ve been to create a dynamic snapshot of your travel life. Tag places where you want to go to create a bucket list you can easily share with your friends. Dream, plan, and dream some more.
- Facebook integration means you can find great, trusted travel recommendations from the friends in your network.
- Add and read up-to-the-minute tips to get the best on-the-ground information from other users in the 1,000 Places community.
- Upload your best shots directly into the app to create and share a virtual scrapbook.
What's New in Version 1.0.1
Thanks for suggesting ways to improve 1000 Places! Keep sending us your ideas, and we promise to continually improve your experience!
With this update 1000 Places makes it easy to share your favorite locations—and even your personalized traveler's map, via Facebook.
Let's come down to reality here.
For the average "US" citizen, who can afford to travel to the majority's of the far reaches of civilization that are mentioned in this app?
Most of us "US" citizens will be lucky if we see one of the three oceans bordering the lower 48 states, in our lifetime. With that off my chest, it would be nice if the software designer/engineer would have versions/releases for each country or continent.
That way they can provide just as many if not more points of interest in each version. Only that number will be concentrated to a specific country or continent, instead of being spread out all over the world the way it is in the current version.
I am awed by this app. It provides amazing places to see, many of which aren't far from home. However, I am disappointed. I've been checking off places I've been in the "Been There" list, and selecting places I'd like to go. I noticed this when I first got it. After a few days, all that information that you customised is deleted off of the app. I wasn't thinking, and I created a fairly large, important list of the most significant places I wanted to visit. Well, today, I went on the app, and found all my information gone. This is frustrating, because I spent hours reading through the list and selecting my favourites.
Poorly made app
The app is clunky and very slow, and locks up. Sometimes information just doesn’t show up. In a region mode, you CANNOT zoom in. It’s very hard to choose a spot when they are so close together because you cannot zoom in. Pictures are small and cannot be enlarged. With the Retina display, you want to see details, beautiful colors, etc., not a 1x2 tiny pictures.
When you use this app, it feels like the programmer doesn’t know what cool things you can do in iOS or too lazy too implement nice or even simple features like zooming, and it’s like the developer didn’t even try to use it.
It’s a poorly made app. It’s a nice idea but the execution is just very very bad.
- Category: Travel
- Updated: Jan 13, 2012
- Version: 1.0.1
- Size: 354 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Workman Publishing Company, Inc.
- © Workman Publishing Company, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPad.