1000 Places To See Before You Die
By Workman Publishing Company, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
“An enticing and easy-to-navigate travel app.” – USA Today
The most unforgettable travel destinations on earth, from the iconic, bestselling book 1,000 Places to See Before You Die, now packed into a feature-rich travel planning app. What’s on your bucket list?
Hand-selected by veteran travel journalist Patricia Schultz, these unique destinations represent a tour of the world’s wonders, continent by continent—a trek through Morocco’s Atlas Mountains, the Old Course at Saint Andrews, the Mekong River by sail . . . Whether it’s active vacations or complete and utter relaxation you’re looking for, the app is your gateway to the best places in the world, an unparalleled discovery tool plus an interactive bucket list to end all lists. And since, as the most experienced travelers know, the most memorable lookout points, hikes, restaurants, hotels, watering holes, and beaches are often discovered via word-of-mouth, the app includes Facebook integration and user recommendations. Passionate travelers, rejoice!
- Filter by region and by interest—Active Travel, Idyllic Towns, Sacred Places, Vineyards and Breweries, Beaches and Getaway Islands, and much more—to find your dream trip.
- Browse places in Map View, or swipe through a jaw-dropping Photo Wall for an immersive visual experience. Slideshow View turns your iPad into a living, breathing gallery of stunning color photos.
- Tag places you’ve been to create a dynamic snapshot of your travel life. Tag places where you want to go to create a bucket list you can easily share with your friends. Dream, plan, and dream some more.
- Facebook integration means you can find great, trusted travel recommendations from the friends in your network.
- Add and read up-to-the-minute tips to get the best on-the-ground information from other users in the 1,000 Places community.
- Upload your best shots directly into the app to create and share a virtual scrapbook.
What's New in Version 1.0.1
Thanks for suggesting ways to improve 1000 Places! Keep sending us your ideas, and we promise to continually improve your experience!
With this update 1000 Places makes it easy to share your favorite locations—and even your personalized traveler's map, via Facebook.
Great concept, significant room for improvement...
This is a must-have App, especially for the travel aficionado. And let's be honest, who isn't a travel aficionado?!
The concept is really good (I might have tried to reduce a bit the number of places, but that's another story) and features like "places I've visited" or "places I want to visit" make it a really fun and engaging experience. Most places have nice pictures and nicely narrated descriptive text with relevant information on tour operators (at least at the moment of publishing), best season to visit and general tips.
Unfortunately, there are a couple of things to note that play against a flawless experience.
- Friends are only pulled from Facebook (I'd love to add friends without signing-in to Facebook)
- Share feature works only for Facebook (How about Twitter or e-mail?)
- No retina support
- Navigation is really sluggish
Hopefully we can see some improvement in the future and I'll update my rating!
Needs more knowledge
This app Is great, beautiful pictures which really can describe and show what these places look like, I look longingly at many of them. But there is a big problem here. I happen to live in Israel, and have noticed that Judea and Samaria, or what has been called here " the west bank " is not included as a part of Israel. You people are grownups, I feel bad that I as a 16 year old have to teach this to the makers of this app, who are for sure older than me. Maybe you should stop being brainwashed by the world media and learn what's really going on in the world. But other than this, it's a great app.
Let's come down to reality here.
For the average "US" citizen, who can afford to travel to the majority's of the far reaches of civilization that are mentioned in this app?
Most of us "US" citizens will be lucky if we see one of the three oceans bordering the lower 48 states, in our lifetime. With that off my chest, it would be nice if the software designer/engineer would have versions/releases for each country or continent.
That way they can provide just as many if not more points of interest in each version. Only that number will be concentrated to a specific country or continent, instead of being spread out all over the world the way it is in the current version.
- Category: Travel
- Updated: Jan 13, 2012
- Version: 1.0.1
- Size: 354 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Workman Publishing Company, Inc.
- © Workman Publishing Company, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPad.