"1849 ... might just be the only real city-building game on iOS" - Owen Faraday, Pocket Tactics
The year is 1849, and gold has just been discovered in California. You decide to head out west, to seek fame and wealth in the approaching Gold Rush.
Will you strike it rich and become an overnight mining magnate? Or build your fortune bit by bit by supplying 49ers with pickaxes and blue jeans?
1849 is a city management game set during the California Gold Rush. Your task is to build towns, populate them with workers, and keep your citizens housed, fed, and entertained. You’ll have to manage and coordinate extensive production and trade networks to make sure your towns thrive.
Updated with two new scenarios!
The Epilogue presents two final scenarios, taking place in the period after the gold rush, as the people of California attempted to forge a new identity in a state that went through an irreversible transformation.
Key Features of 1849:
- A campaign mode that traces the development of the Gold Rush from mining camps to bustling cities. Each city scenario presents players with unique starting conditions, victory goals, and obstacle events.
- Sandbox mode with a procedurally-generated map for your location, based on geography (from the Pacific coast to the Sierra Nevada mountains), precipitation, resource availability, and starting lot size.
- Vivid Old West towns with geography and architecture directly inspired by California’s Gold Country.
- Over 50 resources to dig up, farm, refine or manufacture as you build complex towns and cities.
- Classic city management gameplay meets modern technology in a sim tailored specifically for tablet / touch screen play.
- Developed by SomaSim, a new studio dedicated to producing deep simulation games for today’s players.
New in version 2.0.8:
- Stability updates
- Fixed completion bug in Epilogue
Ratings and Reviews
California residents A Rare Find! Absolutely great game free!!
This game is amazing!! Thank you to everyone involved in bringing this game to the public! Not only fun but so educational about the history of California! I highly recommend this to everyone and any age over 8 up to 75. Thank you again!
Good builder with room to grow
Fundamentally, 1849 is a city builder with economic overtones. It compares favorably to PC classics like Pharaoh and the Caesar series, upon which it is heavily based. Artwork is variable -- landscapes and people are somewhat cartoonish and lack detail, but buildings are highly detailed artworks. The game itself is, as a city builder, highly enjoyable. The only lacking part is in its economics model; it is impossible to sell everything you can produce, meaning that, eventually, you're destined to become either a ghost town or one that's well past its glory days. (Bit of a history lesson in there.) Overall, a good game...probably not worth the $4 or $5 I paid, but well worth two to three...and well worth your time.
Great start for Anno fans
In the vein of Ubisofts Anno series comes 1849. Each 'level' tasks you with a mission that once completed, you start fresh in a new town. While it is 'simple' compared to the Anno series, this is a great start towards getting these type of resource management city builders towards the ipad. This is the closest we have to one and it does scratch that itch. For the low price, I am not going to complain that there is no sandbox mode. I will gladly pay the DLC price should it come around.
It is thematic, good animation, music and gameplay.
- SomaSim LLC
- 78.9 MB
- Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- English, French, German, Polish
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2014 SomaSim LLC
- In-App Purchases
- 1849: Nevada Silver Expansion Pack $1.99
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.