1Writer - Note taking, writing app
By Ngoc Luu
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
1Writer combines all the basic text editing features you would expect with all the advanced features you will ever need. Use 1Writer to write, research, revise, and share your ideas with maximum efficiency.
- - - - - - - - - -
"The only Dropbox- and Markdown-enabled text editor for iPhone that’s clicked with me has been 1Writer. It’s simple, looks great, and gets the job done." - TheSweetSetup.com
"Really great app, really recommend it." - Federico Viticci, MacStories.net
"The app interface is beautiful and distraction-free, with loads of other awesome features lurking beneath its simple exterior. It's now my go-to iPhone text editor." - Chris Gonzales, ToolsandToys.net
"For users that want a great visual experience paired with great support for custom actions and third party apps, 1Writer is an excellent choice." - iMore.com
"1Writer is the most powerful text editor available for iPhone." - Phillip Gruneich
- - - - - - - - - -
- Write :: generate and edit plain text or Markdown files.
- Preview :: see the formatted results with Markdown syntax highlighting while you write and a full, rich-text preview when you're done.
- Extended keyboard :: a convenient row of buttons for navigation, formatting, special characters (customizable--pick the characters you use the most).
- Insert photo :: pick a photo or take a new one, and 1Writer will upload it to Dropbox and generate the Markdown-syntax to add it to your document--all in a single action!
- Snippets :: TextExpander Touch support.
- Custom URL actions :: insert a document template, encode a selection and replace the original text, look up synonyms and much more*.
- iCloud Drive support.
- Sync your existing Dropbox folders and documents.
- Share extension :: send text to 1Writer from other apps. In Safari, the extension uses the current URL, page title, and selected text to create a new document.
- Create, append, prepend, or replace text directly from other apps using the 1Writer URL scheme.
- CloudApp, Droplr and Dropbox :: generate a link to share your document in plain text or PDF.
- Evernote :: pick your notebook, add tags and turn a text selection or the entire document into a new, rich-text note.
- Copy HTML :: put the formatted text for your document directly on the clipboard.
- Custom URL actions :: open a web search, tweet a selection, save a series of items in a list or Reminders app and much more*.
- A dark theme for more comfortable reading and writing at night.
- Choose from 20 different fonts.
- Bookmark and sync the Dropbox folders you want to have quick access to the sub-folders and documents you need.
- Use a passcode or Touch ID to protect the app from unauthorized users.
- In-app web browser :: research, look up information without having to leave the app.
- Bookmarks :: create and access your favorite websites.
- Save the current text selection to the clipboard in Markdown syntax.
- 1Password support :: login to all your accounts using the 1Password extension.
EVEN MORE GREAT FEATURES
- iPad Split View and Slide Over on iOS 9.
- Search documents from Spotlight.
- Quick Actions for iPhone 6s.
- Today widget :: access your recent documents from the Notification Center, or create a new document in one tap.
- Checklist support :: create a list of things to do or topics to research, and easily check them off in preview mode.
- Search and hashtag support :: search within a folder to find the document you need, and view related documents that have the same hashtag.
* Compatible third-party apps include: Drafts, TextTool, Terminology, Day One, Editorial, Phraseology, Byword, Tumblr, 1Password, Chrome, Gmail, Launch Center Pro, Tweetbot, Dispatch, Due, Fantastical 2, 2 Days, TaskAgent 3, Clear, Silo, OmniFocus, Things and many more.
What's New in Version 2.2.2
I originally gave this one star because it doesn't find/replace text built-in the app; however, after doing some digging, it turns out you can install it by going to the app's official website on the device you have the app installed and looking for the "action directory," then installing it from there. In fact, I'm actually extremely hype for this action directory of theirs at the moment, as it looks like you can create/install custom scripts into the app (they also have a library of scripts of their own on the site). Freaking rad.
That said, this looks to be the only Markdown editor available for the iPad Pro, including full multitasking support. It also has inline Markdown preview (awesome) and, unlike some other editors we won't mention, handles this feature with large, 700k+ character documents just fine.
Still, it would be nice to have find/replace, built in the app instead of having to invoke the scripts menu every time you want to quickly find "next" or "previous."
Perfect Dropbox-compatible Markdown Editor
I was looking for a full-featured Dropbox compatible text editor for a long time and tried several apps in this category, but after reading a review about the new features of 1Writer, I decided to purchase this app and give it a try.
Extended keyboard, check box option, real-time preview, background app refresh and above all, Dropbox auto-sync feature are just some of its advantages. The notification widget and sharing option are awesome and handy as well.
I was confused at first while I was trying to get the auto-sync feature to work, but after a few minutes, I simply set up a Dropbox folder and now everything will be synced between all of my devices.
The *Best* Markdown App!
I'm happy to see a bunch of new press for this app. I've been using it for years and love its power and beauty!
This is by far my favorite Markdown editor. Byword is very popular, but 1Writer just blows it out if the water. It's incredibly aesthetically pleasing, and the developer is constantly refining it.
Here's some thoughts:
- I wish that the settings & tags view was easier to get to. I use that a lot. I don't like that I have to go all the way out to the main folders because I only use Dropbox.
- Silly gripe, but I wish that I could change the markup settings. For example, I like to use a hyphen for a new list item and an underscore for italics. I can manually put them in, but that destroys the nice quick buttons' purpose.
- It would be great if a cursor position circle was available like WordBox and Write have.
- YAML front-matter support would be really nice.
- Any chance for MultiMarkdown support?
- I love the new settings for the today view, and the share extension is wonderful!
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Nov 05, 2015
- Version: 2.2.2
- Size: 17.0 MB
- Languages: English, German, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Ngoc Luu
- © 2014 Ngoc Luu
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.