1Writer - Note taking, writing app
By Ngoc Luu
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
1Writer combines all the basic text editing features you would expect with all the advanced features you will ever need. Use 1Writer to write, research, revise, and share your ideas with maximum efficiency.
- - - - - - - - - -
"The only Dropbox- and Markdown-enabled text editor for iPhone that’s clicked with me has been 1Writer. It’s simple, looks great, and gets the job done." - TheSweetSetup.com
"Really great app, really recommend it." - Federico Viticci, MacStories.net
"The app interface is beautiful and distraction-free, with loads of other awesome features lurking beneath its simple exterior. It's now my go-to iPhone text editor." - Chris Gonzales, ToolsandToys.net
"For users that want a great visual experience paired with great support for custom actions and third party apps, 1Writer is an excellent choice." - iMore.com
"1Writer is the most powerful text editor available for iPhone." - Phillip Gruneich
- - - - - - - - - -
- Write :: generate and edit plain text or Markdown files.
- Preview :: see the formatted results with Markdown syntax highlighting while you write and a full, rich-text preview when you're done.
- Extended keyboard :: a convenient row of buttons for navigation, formatting, special characters (customizable--pick the characters you use the most).
- Insert photo :: pick a photo or take a new one, and 1Writer will upload it to Dropbox and generate the Markdown-syntax to add it to your document--all in a single action!
- Snippets :: TextExpander Touch support.
- Custom URL actions :: insert a document template, encode a selection and replace the original text, look up synonyms and much more*.
- iCloud Drive support.
- Sync your existing Dropbox folders and documents.
- Share extension :: send text to 1Writer from other apps. In Safari, the extension uses the current URL, page title, and selected text to create a new document.
- Create, append, prepend, or replace text directly from other apps using the 1Writer URL scheme.
- CloudApp, Droplr and Dropbox :: generate a link to share your document in plain text or PDF.
- Evernote :: pick your notebook, add tags and turn a text selection or the entire document into a new, rich-text note.
- Copy HTML :: put the formatted text for your document directly on the clipboard.
- Custom URL actions :: open a web search, tweet a selection, save a series of items in a list or Reminders app and much more*.
- A dark theme for more comfortable reading and writing at night.
- Choose from 20 different fonts.
- Bookmark and sync the Dropbox folders you want to have quick access to the sub-folders and documents you need.
- Use a passcode or Touch ID to protect the app from unauthorized users.
- In-app web browser :: research, look up information without having to leave the app.
- Bookmarks :: create and access your favorite websites.
- Save the current text selection to the clipboard in Markdown syntax.
- 1Password support :: login to all your accounts using the 1Password extension.
EVEN MORE GREAT FEATURES
- iPad Split View and Slide Over on iOS 9.
- Search documents from Spotlight.
- Quick Actions for iPhone 6s.
- Today widget :: access your recent documents from the Notification Center, or create a new document in one tap.
- Checklist support :: create a list of things to do or topics to research, and easily check them off in preview mode.
- Search and hashtag support :: search within a folder to find the document you need, and view related documents that have the same hashtag.
* Compatible third-party apps include: Drafts, TextTool, Terminology, Day One, Editorial, Phraseology, Byword, Tumblr, 1Password, Chrome, Gmail, Launch Center Pro, Tweetbot, Dispatch, Due, Fantastical 2, 2 Days, TaskAgent 3, Clear, Silo, OmniFocus, Things and many more.
What's New in Version 2.2.1
* Added 3D Touch Quick Actions.
* Bug fixes.
If you like the new features and improvements, please take a minute to leave a nice review or a rating on the App Store, it really helps!
I'm finding 1Writer sits in a sweet spot for my modest needs. It has enough features to do what I need and not so many that it's overwhelming. It has been solid and stable under iOS 8 and 9. It's extendable and has a reasonable number of useful enhancements that can be installed. Maybe not as many as some others but honestly I don't need a lot for what I do on an iPad. I do like that it doesn't impose a specific Dropbox folder but instead has access to any of my Dropbox folders. I had a UI question (related to using a Bluetooth keyboard instead of the iPad's keyboard) and got a prompt, truly helpful reply from the developer. I have two other iOS Markdown and text editors, but 1Writer is the one I'm reaching for first.
The *Best* Markdown App!
This is by far my favorite Markdown editor. Byword is very popular, but 1Writer just blows it out if the water. It's incredibly aesthetically pleasing, and the developer is constantly refining it.
Here's some thoughts:
- I wish that the settings & tags view was easier to get to. I use that a lot. I don't like that I have to go all the way out to the main folders because I only use Dropbox.
- Silly gripe, but I wish that I could change the markup settings. For example, I like to use a hyphen for a new list item and an underscore for italics. I can manually put them in, but that destroys the nice quick buttons' purpose.
- It would be great if a cursor position circle was available like WordBox and Write have.
- YAML front-matter support would be really nice.
- Any chance for MultiMarkdown support?
- I love the new settings for the today view, and the share extension is wonderful!
Useful. MathJax support?
All in all. If you write your papers in markdown this app will be very useful. A few things that I do think can be improved are, no MathJax / Tex support. Another is the confusing iCloud import. I haven't found a good way to simply import an iCloud document directly to the documents.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Oct 02, 2015
- Version: 2.2.1
- Size: 17.0 MB
- Languages: English, German, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Ngoc Luu
- © 2014 Ngoc Luu
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.