1Writer - Note taking, writing app
By Ngoc Luu
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
1Writer combines all the basic text editing features you would expect with all the advanced features you will ever need. Use 1Writer to write, research, revise, and share your ideas with maximum efficiency.
- - - - - - - - - -
"The only Dropbox- and Markdown-enabled text editor for iPhone that’s clicked with me has been 1Writer. It’s simple, looks great, and gets the job done." - TheSweetSetup.com
"Really great app, really recommend it." - Federico Viticci, MacStories.net
"The app interface is beautiful and distraction-free, with loads of other awesome features lurking beneath its simple exterior. It's now my go-to iPhone text editor." - Chris Gonzales, ToolsandToys.net
"For users that want a great visual experience paired with great support for custom actions and third party apps, 1Writer is an excellent choice." - iMore.com
"1Writer is the most powerful text editor available for iPhone." - Phillip Gruneich
- - - - - - - - - -
- Write :: generate and edit plain text or Markdown files.
- Preview :: see the formatted results with Markdown syntax highlighting while you write and a full, rich-text preview when you're done.
- Extended keyboard :: a convenient row of buttons for navigation, formatting, special characters (customizable--pick the characters you use the most).
- Insert photo :: pick a photo or take a new one, and 1Writer will upload it to Dropbox and generate the Markdown-syntax to add it to your document--all in a single action!
- Snippets :: TextExpander Touch support.
- Custom URL actions :: insert a document template, encode a selection and replace the original text, look up synonyms and much more*.
- iCloud Drive support.
- Sync your existing Dropbox folders and documents.
- Share extension :: send text to 1Writer from other apps. In Safari, the extension uses the current URL, page title and selected text to create a new document.
- Create, append, prepend, or replace text directly from other apps using the 1Writer URL scheme.
- CloudApp and Dropbox :: generate a link to share your document in plain text or PDF.
- Evernote :: pick your notebook, add tags and turn a text selection or the entire document into a new, rich-text note.
- Copy HTML :: put the formatted text for your document directly on the clipboard.
- Custom actions :: open a web search, tweet a selection, save a series of items in a list and much more*.
- A dark theme for more comfortable reading and writing at night.
- Choose from 20 different fonts.
- Bookmark and sync the Dropbox folders you want to have quick access to the sub-folders and documents you need.
- Use a passcode or Touch ID to protect the app from unauthorized users.
- In-app web browser :: research, look up information without having to leave the app.
- Bookmarks :: create and access your favorite websites.
- Save the current text selection to the clipboard in Markdown syntax.
- 1Password support :: login to all your accounts using the 1Password extension.
EVEN MORE GREAT FEATURES
- iPad Split View and Slide Over on iOS 9.
- Search documents from Spotlight.
- Quick Actions for iPhone 6s.
- Find & replace within document.
- Photo and PDF preview.
- Today widget :: access your recent documents from the Notification Center or create a new document in one tap.
- Checklist support :: create a list of things to do or topics to research, and easily check them off.
- Search and hashtag support :: search within a folder to find the document you need, and view related documents that have the same hashtag.
* Compatible third-party apps include: Drafts, Terminology, Day One, Editorial, Phraseology, Byword, Tumblr, Chrome, Gmail, Launch Center Pro, Tweetbot, Dispatch, Due, Fantastical, 2 Days, TaskAgent 3, Clear, OmniFocus, Things, 2Do and many more.
What's New in Version 2.5
* Added find & replace.
* New extended keyboard row, customizable from the settings.
* Insert images: images are now copied to the document's containing folder and referenced locally.
* Added option to show Markdown files only, Markdown and images, or all file types.
* You can now edit other file types in plain text mode.
* Added photo and PDF preview.
* Automatic file naming using the first line of the document.
* Tap [x] to change task status from edit mode.
* Rebuilt widget for iOS 10.
* Updated to Dropbox API v2.
* Added new external keyboard shortcuts, hold down Command for details.
* Various improvements and bug fixes.
Superb Dropbox/Markdown text editor
After trying many text editors, I've settled on 1Writer. Dropbox sync, excellent Markdown support, and useful scripts allow me to do just about everything I wanted to do in a plaintext editor.
Just the right amount of features, no extra fluff.
Fast, fluid and stable.
Broken update -- Json errors
I was really loving this app until this new update. I get a JSON error with everything I do, so nothing's works. :-(
Hope they fix it soon!
My favorite text & markdown editor for iPhone
1Writer is by far my favorite iPhone text and Markdown editor. Most important is the fact that it simply feels right. Stuff I love about it, in random order:
* It's clean. When I'm writing, there's just the editing area and the keyboard (some other editors leave the top status bar in place, for example)
* It has inline markdown formatting (H1's are larger, bulleted lists are indented properly, etc.)
* It has the option to launch with a blank document for quick note-taking
* Related to that, the default filename is a sensible timestamp
* It has an attractive dark mode
* It allows me to customize the font, which seems to be verboten these days for some reason
* It has word count optionally displayed in the upper right corner of the editing window (which can be configured to display character, sentence, or paragraph count)
* It's updated for iPhone 6 (I find it very difficult to type in apps that haven't yet updated for larger sized iPhones – looking at you, Daedalus Touch)
* Markdown preview
* You can add what I'm going to call GFM style checkboxes (like `* [ ]`) which you can check off in markdown preview and which you can export to other apps like Things
* It has an extensible “Actions” menu (Tweet, send to Day One, etc.)
* It has an optional extended row of keys on the keyboard
* It converts hashtags in the text to tags that can be used to organize your files
The list is growing long and rambling, so I'll cut it short and say it's clean and attractive with sensible defaults, and if all you want to do is type notes this app excels at that, but there's lots of functionality under the hood too. My sense is that I've only scratched the surface.
[Edit: I previously left a comment about how I wish I could add punctuation and whatnot to the extra row of customizable keys on the keyboard. It turns out you can: Press and hold any of the customizable keys, and the last character you typed in the editor shows up as an option. Nice!]
There are some small refinements I'd like to see, but all in all this has been a great find. Thanks to the developer for all your hard work!
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Jan 19, 2017
- Version: 2.5
- Size: 55.7 MB
- Languages: English, German, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Ngoc Luu
- © 2016 Ngoc Luu
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.